From cinema production to forensic science, Point Park students gain hands-on experience in their majors. It takes state-of-the-art facilities for world-class training, and Point Park has them. Explore our facilities by major:
- Animation lab
- Editing facilities
- Production studios
- Screening rooms/theaters
- Sound mixing suite
School of Communication students learn and practice on professional equipment and are prepared to enter the real world already familiar with the same tools used by communication pros. Facilities and equipment include:
- Center for Media Innovation, an integrated New York City-style media facility featuring television, radio and photo studios, a multimedia newsroom and a transformational presentation/gallery space
- Alternative process lab
- Black and white and color darkroom
- Mac and PC multimedia labs
- Radio station (WPPJ) featuring all digital equipment, and sales, business and management offices
- TV studio (U-View) featuring Sony digital studio cameras with teleprompters, a four-seat news desk, a video/engineering control room, an audio board and a live announcer's booth
Dance students train and perform in the $16 million George Rowland White Performance Center. The 44,000-square-foot center includes:
- Four floors with extra height ceilings
- Eight studios for rehearsals and performances
- State-of-the-art heating and cooling systems, ventilation, flooring, lighting, acoustics and equipment
- Grand pianos and state-of-the-art sound systems
- On-site student lockers, showers, changing spaces and bike racks
In addition, students have the opportunity to perform at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, the performing arts center of Point Park, and at the Byham Theatre, located in the heart of Pittsburgh's Cultural District.
Forensic science majors have the unique opportunity to investigate mock crime scenes in Point Park's crime scene investigation house — located right on campus. The crime scene house is part of a one-of-a-kind National Security Training Center at Point Park with:
- A forensics lab where students learn to analyze evidence
- A computer lab with the most recent intelligence software so students can train for jobs as intelligence analysts
- Natural Sciences: Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Computer Laboratory, Chemistry Laboratory, Genetics Laboratory and more
- Civil Engineering Technology: R.L. Simmons Materials Laboratory, Simulation Laboratory and a Soils Laboratory
- Electrical Engineering Technology: Circuits Laboratory, Digital Electronics Laboratory, Electrical Power Laboratory and a Radio Laboratory
- Mechanical Engineering Technology: Heat/Transfer Fluids Laboratory
Pioneer Records at Red Caiman Media
Pioneer Records at Red Caiman Media
Pioneer Records is a Point Park University-operated record label managed by the sports, arts and entertainment management program, and housed at Red Caiman Media, a commercial recording studio in Pittsburgh's Uptown section.
Students have a classroom space at Red Caiman Media, along with access to the studio's recording and production rooms, allowing them to acquire first-hand experience on the various aspects of a record label.
Point Park University and Stage AE, one of Pittsburgh’s newest concert venues, have an academic partnership to offer students in the SAEM major with an opportunity to learn about the entertainment industry from a dedicated classroom space at Stage AE on Pittsburgh's North Shore.
- Rauh Theatre
- Rockwell Theatre
- Studio Theatre
The playhouse is currently located in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Oakland, but is scheduled to move Downtown in 2018. The new playhouse will be a 24/7 operation with three different academic theatre spaces, a large scene shop, sound stage, prop shop, costume shop and café. It will become the heartbeat of Downtown Pittsburgh.