HELPING STUDENTS THROUGHOUT THE WRITING PROCESS
The Writing Center consults with students in courses across the curriculum at all stages of the writing process. The Writing Center is open and accepting drop-in appointments during the following hours of operation.
Located in 714 WP. Please note: hours are subject to change based on tutor availability and student need.
Mondays and Wednesdays: 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Fridays: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Writing Center can help with:
- understanding the assignment handout
- getting started, brainstorming and prewriting
- writing the thesis statement
- organization strategies
- grammar, usage and style skill development
- proofreading strategies
- correctly documenting sources
- understanding and responding to instructor feedback
- other questions you have about your writing
What should students bring to a writing consultation?
- whatever writing you have done on your assignment (but it’s OK if you haven’t started)
- the assignment handout and any guidelines from your instructor
- any texts or other materials you are using in the assignment
No appointment is necessary. Drop-in hours are posted on the fifth floor of the West Penn Building.
Online Tutoring for Writing Assignments
Online Writing Tutoring provides feedback for specific questions and concerns. The student using online writing tutoring should be prepared to engage in a dialogue with a professional tutor via online submission. The online tutor does not edit or proofread student papers.
Get the Most out of Online Writing Tutoring
- Don’t wait until the last minute to write your paper. You want to allow yourself enough time to get a response from the tutor and, if necessary, ask further questions and get additional responses.
- Response time will be within 48 hours.
- Explain your assignment as fully as possible. The more the tutor knows about what you are working on, the more the tutor can help you. You have the option of attaching your assignment handout. You must attach your writing assignment as a Word file.
- Expect to be an active participant in the tutoring process. It is your assignment. The tutor is simply providing feedback for your questions.
How to Use Online Writing Tutoring
Online writing tutoring support is accessed exclusively through PointWeb.
Follow this process to submit your request and attach your document:
- Log in to PointWeb >
- Click on Academic Resources >
- Click on Program for Academic Success >
- Click on Writing Tutor Request >
Complete the form, attach your document(s), and click submit. You will receive feedback within 48 hours of your online writing submission.
HELPING STUDENTS WITH MATH
The Math Center is avalibale to students in math and science courses across the curriculum in all levels. The Math Center is open during the following hours of operation.
Located in either 510 WP or 511 WP. Please note: hours are subject to change based on tutor availability and student need.
Mondays and Wednesdays: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Fridays: 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
If you have questions, please contact Natacia Owens, student success coordinator for tutoring services, email@example.com, 412-392-8132.