Residence Hall floor just for Honors Students
Meet Honors LLC Community Facilitator Justin Schilling
- Major: Sports, arts and entertainment management
- Minor: English
- Year: Junior
- Hometown: York County
- High School: Dallastown Area High School
What can Honors LLC residents expect for the 2014-15 year?
"Residents of the Honors LLC will be able to experience all of the wonders a great city like Pittsburgh has to offer, will have chances to take ownership of their community through volunteer work, will strive to create a community based on academic achievement, and will experience many other exciting things as they develop throughout the year."
The Honors Program LLC offers first-year students the opportunity to enhance their Point Park experience by connecting their academic environment to their living environment on a shared residence hall floor in Thayer Hall.
The Honors Program LLC allows high-achieving students to build a sense of community and to transition smoothly to campus life at Point Park.
Honors Program LLC basics
- Accommodates up to 27 students
- Co-ed floor with community bathrooms (one for men, one for women)
- Mostly double rooms, with two single rooms and three triple rooms
- Mini-lounge with a television
- Read about amenities in Thayer Hall
Benefits of the Honors Program LLC
- Living in a tight-knit community of fellow honors students who are similarly motivated to succeed academically.
- An Honors Program mentor assigned to the floor as part of his or her responsibilities.
- Special programming, including guest speakers, book club, tickets to lectures and performances at the Pittsburgh Playhouse and Downtown Pittsburgh cultural venues, the annual Storytelling and Human Rights Symposium, and more. (Some of this will be determined by the mentor and residents).
- Participation in campus-wide First Year Experience events, including Pizza With The President and the FYE Olympics.
- Community and service-learning projects each semester. This will be arranged with the LLC’s mentor and residents, but in the past honors students have helped staff a September Great Race water station right on campus, volunteered at the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, raised funds for the Animal Rescue League Shelter and Wildlife Center and Animal Friends, and collected Christmas toys and donations for clients of The Alliance for Infants and Toddlers.
- Priority registration and reduction in fees for trips, including a September visit to the 911 memorial in Shanksville, Pa., and an Alternative Spring Break trip, normally scheduled for New York City.
Honors Program LLC requirements:
- Attend an Honors Program early move in and Introduction to Honors event in August.
- Participate in a minimum of four Honors Program experiences and/or activities throughout the academic year
How to Request the Honors Program LLC
All incoming Honors Program students are eligible for the Honors Program LLC.
Interested students should indicate their preference for the Honors Program LLC when filling out the freshmen housing and meal plan contract.