Associate Professor, Business Management
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting, Gujarat University, India
- Master of International Business Management, Point Park University
- Doctor of Education, Instructional Leadership Excellence, Duquesne University
- Accounting for Managers
- Electronic Commerce
- Global Environment of Business
- Health Care Economics
- Investment Management
- Management Information Systems
- Managerial Economics
- Money and Banking
- Quantitative Studies
- Risk Management
Archish Maharaja, Ed.D., joined the School of Business at Point Park University as an adjunct faculty member in 2000 and is now an associate professor of business management in the Master of Business Administration program. Maharaja served as director of the M.B.A. program from Sept. 2010 through July 2014. He has diversified professional experience, from working at a Fortune 500 company and several smaller accounting and medical businesses to forming his own CPA and consulting firm concerned primarily with physician practices. His industry experience includes working as a purchasing manager and accountant, serving as a financial advisor on a corporate and personal level, and being employed as a healthcare administrator and physician practice manager. He currently provides consulting and management services to individual and multi specialty physician practices, as well as larger healthcare entities.
His research activities are concentrated in healthcare administration and management and information technology as it applies to healthcare. His doctoral dissertation topic was "The Use of Electronic Health Records in Medical Practices" with a goal of analyzing and promoting the use of information technology by physicians. Currently, he is in the process of writing and publishing articles on the adoption and use of electronic health records. His research extends to healthcare organizations concerned with policy management and administration, and he actively participates in professional healthcare management programs in addition to serving as an eager volunteer in organizations that benefit his community.
Professional licenses and certifications
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- Life, Health (Insurance)/Annuity (Pennsylvania)
Selected Presentations and Publications
- “Can You Really do Marketing in the Health Care Sector?” with Gita Maharaja, Ed.D., and “Occupational Fraud and Motivations for Fraud in Today’s Corporate World: Who is to Blame?” with Gita Maharaja, Ed.D. and Dawn Parasolick, M.B.A., 36th Annual Meeting of the Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology, State College, Pa., Oct. 17-18, 2013.
- "The Business of Health Care," Chatham University, Pittsburgh, Pa., June 6 and 18, 2013.
- “A Recruitment Challenge for Every Institute: Identifying Avenues of Opportunity and Paths to Success Through Assessment, Process Development and Acquiring/Preparing Organizational Resources," IACBE Summer Institute for Chairs and Deans, Olathe, Kan., June 10-14, 2013.
- "Expanding Academic Horizons: Strategies for International Student Recruitment and International Cultural Awareness," co-presented with Dimitris Kraniou, Ph.D., and Dawn Parasolick, M.B.A., IACBE Annual Conference, Orlando, Fla., April 16-19, 2013.
- "Economics of Operating an Independent Physician Practice," with co-author Gita Maharaja, Ph.D., The Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology (NABET), Oct. 2010, State College, Pa.
- "Sustainability for Multinational Corporations through Knowledge Creation and Management," with co-author Dimitris Kraniou, Ph.D., The Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology (NABET), Oct. 2010, State College, Pa. Maharaja also served as session chair at the conference.
- Participated in panel discussion at Duquesne University on "How to Start Your Business." Maharaja shared his advice on starting a business, managing finances and creating and maintaining accounting records. He also provided some valuable insight into operating and sustaining a profitable business.
- Presented four papers (co-authored with three Point Park University School of Business faculty members) at the 17th Annual International Conference on Advances in Management, held July, 2010 in Atlanta, Ga. The papers were on the topics "Exploring the Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Leadership Styles of Management in Multinational Corporations," "Knowledge Creation in Multinational Corporations," "Can Educating Physicians Increase the Adoption Rate of Electronic Health Records?" and "Strategies for Physicians to Remain Independent from Hospital Systems." Maharaja was also a chair for the track “Improving Effectiveness of Health Care" at the conference and for the second year in a row, he was elected as trustee for the conference held the following year in Cancun, Mexico.
- Electronic commerce
- Electronic health/medical record health care administration
- Forensic accounting
- Health care administration and management
- Health care economics
- Health care policy
- Member, Pennsylvania eHealth Initiative (PA eHealth)
- Member, IndUS Entrepreneurs (TiePgh)
- Treasurer, Western Pennsylvania Health Information and Management Systems Society, 2005-present
- Trustee, Board of Trustees 2009-present, International Conference on Advances in Management (ICAM)
- Secretary, Indian Cultural Association of Pittsburgh 2010-present (ICAP)
- Ex-officio Treasurer, Northern Tier Regional Library (NTRL)
In the News
- "Why a UnitedHealth subsidiary acquired MedExpress — and what its future might be," Pittsburgh Business Times, April 25, 2015.
- "Value of MBA is in textbook, not checkbook, experts say," Pittsburgh Business Times, August 15, 2014.
- "Ask the Experts: Why Do Health Care Costs Vary So Widely?" cardhub.com, May 31, 2013.
- "Business schools bolster international outreach efforts," Pittsburgh Business Times, March 9, 2012.
- "Newsmaker: Archish Maharaja," Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Dec. 1, 2010.
- "Electronic health record training 'essential' for students," Pittsburgh Business Times, Nov. 19, 2010.
Point Park Features
- "Point Park to Meet Growing Demand for Health Care Managers With Fully Online M.S. Degree," Point Park University website, May 13, 2015.
- "Point Park Professors Discuss Global Immigration Issues at Faculty Colloquium," Point Park University website, April 28, 2014.
- "Point Park M.B.A. Director Travels to India and Afghanistan with IACBE Leaders," Point Park University website, Oct. 7, 2013.
- "Professors, Alumna Discuss International Student Recruitment at IACBE Conference," Point Park University website, April 23, 2013.
- "School of Business Faculty to Present Research at NABET Conference," Point Park University website, Oct. 24, 2012.
- "M.B.A. Program Director Receives ICAM Leadership Award," Point Park University website, July 30, 2012.
- "Archish Maharaja Educates Professionals and Patients in Health Care Management," The Point, Winter 2012 issue.
"M.B.A. Program Director Conducts Education Information Sessions in India," Point Park University website, Jan. 30,
Watch Professor Maharaja in this video on the M.B.A. program at Point Park: