Professor, Business Management
H.J. Heinz Endowed Chair in Management
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Arts, Mathematical Economics, University of Pittsburgh
- M.B.A., Finance, Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Arts, Economic Forecasting, University of Pennsylvania
- Doctor of Philosophy, Business Economics, University of Pennsylvania
- Ethical Leadership
- Strategic Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Corporate Finance
- International Finance
- Managerial Economics
James Michael Haley, Ph.D., has used his executive and entrepreneurial experience and skills restructuring over $1 billion of assets to teach him how to use ethical leadership to strategically transform companies into sustainable learning organizations. His areas of expertise include corporate strategic planning, new business developments, acquisitions and divestitures, and economic and financial forecasting. Prior to Point Park, Haley taught economics and finance at Chatham University, Robert Morris University, DePaul's College of Commerce, and Vanderbilt's Owen School.
Haley teaches M.B.A. students to develop their own values-based management practice by integrating the study of ethical leadership, strategic management, organizational behavior, corporate and international finance and managerial economics in order to learn how to lead sustainable learning organizations.
Executive, Entrepreneurial and Consulting Experience
- Financial consultant, Cambio Health Solutions, 2000-2001
- President, family's Idaho farm, developed and divested 10,000 acres, 1992-2002
- Managing partner, raised $10 million for diagnostic and surgery ventures, 1987-1992
- Senior vice president, repositioned a national hospital chair's $1 billion of assets by advertising services of hospital-based joint ventures with physician partners, 1983-1986
- Business consultant, identified superior business models for Cigna, Bethlehem Steele, Hospital Management Professionals, and other health care companies, 1981-1983
- Vice president, sold hospitals worth $45 million of a national hospital chain and directed the planning process of this subsidiary of INA (now Cigna), 1978-1981
- "The Simplest Model of Financial Crisis," Global Economy and Finance Journal, Sept. 2010.
- "How to Normalize Financial Markets," Global Economy and Finance Journal, March 2009.
- "Economic Dynamics of Work," Strategic Management Journal, 1986.
- “A Multi-level Socratic Approach to Teaching M.B.A. Course Ethical Leadership and Sustainable Organizations Utilizing Instructional Activities Inside and Outside of the Classroom and Student Assessment to Improve the Course,” with Dawn Parasolick, M.B.A., 36th Annual Meeting of the Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology, State College, Pa., Oct. 17-18, 2013.
- "The Simplest Model of Financial Crisis," Annual American Business Research Conference in Las Vegas, Nev., June 2010.
- "Making Disney Pixar into a Learning Organization," World Business Institute Conference, New York, N.Y., Sept. 2009.
- "Possible Evolutions of Financial Markets in a Keynesian Economy," American Mathematical Society Meetings in Washington, D.C., Jan. 2009.
- "The Simplest Chaotic Model of Financial Crisis," University of Leicester School of Management Conference on Global Trends of Risk Management of Financial Services, Leicester, U.K., 2009.
- "Testing the Learning Outcome of Teaching Finance and Economics," Teaching Economics Conference, co-sponsored by Irwin/McGraw Hill and Robert Morris University, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2008.
- "How to Normalize Financial Markets," World Business Institute Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 2008.
In the News
- "A History of Reigning in the Banks," WESA 90.5, Pittsburgh's NPR News Station, July 23, 2013.
Point Park Features
- "Professors and Alumna Present Research at Business Conference," Point Park University website, Nov. 13, 2013.
- "Point Park and H.J. Heinz Company Host Event Centered on M.B.A. Ethical Leadership Course," Point Park University website, Oct. 24, 2012.
- "School of Business Faculty to Present Research at NABET Conference," Point Park University website, Oct. 24, 2012.
- "Heinz Ethics Panel Garners More than 100 Students and Business Leaders," Point Park University website, Aug. 22, 2011.
- "Point Park Takes Initiative in Educating Ethical Leaders," The Point, Fall 2010 issue.