Assistant Professor, Economics and Finance
- Ph.D., Economics, Rutgers University
- M.A., Economics, Rutgers University
- B.A., Economics, Del Pacifico University, Peru
- Principles of Economics (Macroeconomics)
- Economics of Money and Banking
- International Finance
Luis Palacios-Salguero earned his Ph.D. in economics from Rutgers University in New Jersey. His fields of specialization are macroeconomics and international finance. Before joining Point Park University, he worked as a consultant at the Inter-American Development Bank in Washington D.C. He also worked for several years at the Superintendency of Banking and the Ministry of Finance of Peru.
Palacios-Salguero uses dynamic general equilibrium models and Bayesian methods to study optimal macroeconomic policies for developing countries. He is interested in contributing to the design of optimal exchange rate, monetary, and fiscal policies in both developing and developed countries.
Selected Publications and Research Papers
- “A Fiscal Sustainability Analysis of the Andean Countries: Quantifying the Impact of the Current World Crisis on Public Debt,” IADB Document, April 2009.
- “Some Empirical Evidence of Shocks to Monetary and Fiscal Policies on the Exchange Rate: Germany 1974-1998,” Second-Year Research Paper, Rutgers University, Jan. 2005.
- “Alternative Microfinancial Programs for Peru and Recommendations about their Regulation and Supervision,” Policy Research Paper, Ministry of Finance of Peru, Dec. 1998.
- "Endogenous Dollarization in a Small Open Economy: Fixed or Flexible Exchange Rate?” Mimeo, Rutgers University, March 2010.
- "Portfolio Choice, Dollarization, and Exchange Rates.” Mimeo, Rutgers University, July 2009.
- "Optimal Exchange Rate Regime in a Dollarized Small Open Economy: The Role of Nontradables," Mimeo, Rutgers University, March 2010.
- “Optimal Fiscal Policy Rule in a Small Open Economy with Endogenous Dollarization,” Mimeo, Rutgers University, March 2008.
- "Macroeconomic Policy and Reforms in Peru: 1990-1997," Seminar on Economics, Villarreal University, Peru, Jan. 1998.
- International Macroeconomics
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Monetary Economics
- Applied Time Series Econometrics
- American Economic Association
Point Park Features
- "Point Park Professors Discuss Global Immigration Issues at Faculty Colloquium," Point Park University website, April 28, 2014.
- "Meet Luis Palacios-Salguero, Assistant Professor of Economics and Finance," Point Park University website, Dec. 18, 2012.
- "Economics and Finance Student Named a Scholar-Athlete," Point Park University website, July 22, 2011.