Associate Professor, Public Administration
Director, Nontraditional Undergraduate Programs
- Bachelor of Science, Vocational Education, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Public Policy Management, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Philosophy, Public Administration and Policy, University of Pittsburgh
- Urban Politics
- Non-Profit Organization
- Public Administration
- Principles of Management
- Public Budgeting
- Operational Methods for Public Management
- Policy and Decision Analysis
- Theories of Public Organization
- Special Employee Relations in Public Agencies
- Introduction to Administrative Law
- Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
- Introduction to Information Technology
Associate Professor Robert Skertich, Ph.D., has an extensive background in public and nonprofit administration, serving at the municipal, county and national levels, with a primary focus on public safety and emergency management. He currently serves as a deputy commander with the Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT-PA1) based in Pittsburgh and part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Disaster Medical System, which coordinates federal medical response during disasters. He led a group of 25 physicians, nurses and paramedics from the Pittsburgh area to staff a temporary hospital in Petionville, just outside of Port-au-Prince, Haiti. He is a life member and currently the captain of the Hampton Township Fire Department in Allison Park, Pa. Skertich is also a Pennsylvania state fire instructor and a certified paramedic.
His current research focus is on leadership and decision-making in disasters. He was previously affiliated with the Center for Disaster Management at the University of Pittsburgh, researching socio-technical situational awareness and decision support in disaster management. Skertich also studies civil defense and Cold War history in the Pittsburgh area.
Professional certifications and memberships
- Certification, National Professional Qualification Board, Firefighter II and Fire Instructor II
- Certification, Pennsylvania Department of Health, EMT Paramedic
- Certified Fire Officer I, International Fire Service Accreditation Congress
- Member, Occupational Advisory Committee, Emergency Response Technology, Beattie Technical School
- Member, Fire Service Administration Degree Program Advisory Board, Community College of Allegheny County
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Presented on "Professional Communications" to West Penn Hospital employees, Nov. 20, 2014.
- Co-author of article "A Bad Time for Disaster: Economic Stress and Disaster Resilience," published in Administration and Society, July 2012.
- Taught 16-hour Advanced Incident Command course at the Integrated Medical, Public Health, Preparedness and Response Training Summit in Nashville, Tenn., May 2012.
- Co-presented on the "History of Pittsburgh's Cold War Air Defense," Northland Public Library and Allegheny County Police and Fire Academy in North Park, Pittsburgh, Pa., March 2012.
- Co-presented "A Bad Time for Disaster: Economic Stress and Disaster Resilience," Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Washington, D.C., Sept. 2010.
- Presented on the "Haitian Earthquake Response," EMS Update Conference, Emergency Medical Services Institute, Seven Springs, Pa., March 2011.
- Decision support in disaster management
Selected Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Member of the Year, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Disaster Medical System, 2010.
In the News
- "A Newsmaker You Should Know: Point Park Professor Well-Versed on Area's Cold War History," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 26, 2012.
- "Group Examines Former Cold War Missile Sites," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 29, 2012.
Point Park Features
- "Alumna, Professor Serve on Disaster Medical Team During State of the Union," Point Park University website, Feb. 1, 2016.
- "Public Administration Professors Leads Disaster Preparedness Training in Alabama," Point Park University website, July 14, 2015.
- "Public Administration Instructors Mix Academics With Real-World Experience," Point Park University website, Dec. 10, 2014.
- "Professor Selected to Give Commencement Address at Pittsburgh Airport," Point Park University website, Dec. 4, 2013.
- "Public Administration Program First in PA to be Recognized by the U.S. Fire Administration," Point Park University website, Jan. 16, 2013.
- "Public Administration Professor Leads Medical Team in Hurricane Sandy Disaster Relief Efforts," Point Park University website, Nov. 27, 2012.
- "Professor Co-Authors Article on Economic Stress and Disaster Resilience," Point Park University website, Aug. 1, 2012.
- "Public Administration Professor to Teach Course at Training Summit on Emergency Preparedness," Point Park University website," May 23, 2012.
- "Public Administration Professor to Present Research on Pittsburgh's Cold War Air Defense," Point Park University website, March 19, 2012.
- "Point Park Offers Degree Geared for Firefighters," Point Park University website, July 27, 2011.