With the recent focus on corporate accountability, there is no more relevant field than accounting. Accounting is consistently identified as one of the fastest growing professions according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor.
As a student in Point Park's accounting program, you'll do the course work required to pass the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination. Plus, you'll be ready for a variety of careers in the field.
Upon graduation, you'll have the skills and knowledge to begin a career as a tax preparer, a financial analyst, a corporate or public accountant, an Internal Revenue Service special agent or a forensic accountant for the FBI, among others. You can also consider our dual B.S./M.B.A. program, which fulfills the new Pennsylvania CPA requirement, and you will earn an M.B.A.
Make informed financial
decisions throughout your
college years and into your
professional life. Learn more.
The following degrees, as well as a minor, are offered in the accounting program:
- Bachelor of Science (traditional, four year degree)
- Associate in Science (72 credits)
- Post-baccalaureate (An additional B.S. degree to your current bachelor's degree)
- Minor in accounting (Available to current Point Park students)
Graduates of Point Park's accounting program have gone on to work at:
Meet Panther Bior, accounting analyst for Bank of New York Mellon.
Accounting alumna Rosemary Coombs lands internal auditor position at Schneider Downs.
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Schneider Downs
- Fannie Mae
- University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Attention Aspiring CPAs
Earn your Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Point Park and get an added bonus of six credits toward an M.B.A. degree at Point Park. Take advantage of this credit waiver for Point Park University graduates with a bachelor's degree in accounting.
Effective January 1, 2012, individuals pursuing a CPA license in Pa. are now required to have a baccalaureate or higher degree with a completion of 150 credit hours, including at least a total of 36 semester credits of accounting and auditing, business law, finance and tax subjects. Point Park's accounting B.S./M.B.A. program not only fulfills this requirement but provides the individual with a master's degree in as little as one year after earning a bachelor's degree in accounting.
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in your major. Some of the courses in the accounting program include:
- Managerial/Cost Accounting
- Computer Applications in Accounting
- Tax Accounting
- Cost Accounting Principles
For a comprehensive list of program requirements, see the course descriptions and the links to the program guides at the top of the page.
- Arthritis Foundation
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- BDS/Canon Computer Systems
- De Julius & Company Certified Public Accountants
- Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Ernst & Young LLP
- PaineWebber, Inc.
- PNC Bank, N.A.
- PPG Industries
- Schneider Downs
- Scott & McCune Company
Meet Rachel Iwanonkiw, operations manager and accounting student.
With a degree in accounting, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities, such as:
- Forensic Accounting
- Public Accounting
- Corporate Accounting
- Not-for-Profit Organizations
Point Park Accounting Features
- "Student Accounting Association Tours C.P.A. Firm Schneider Downs," April 15, 2013.
- "Accounting Major Awarded Financial Executives International Scholarship," April 3, 2013.
- "School of Business Students Compete as Finalists in Auditing Case Study Competition," Dec. 6, 2012.
- "Student Accounting Association Hosts Speakers from Small and Large Public Accounting Firms," Nov. 28, 2012.
- "Faculty profile: Meet Amy Cesario, Visiting Assistant Professor of Accounting," Sept. 26, 2012.
- "Meet Rachel Iwanonkiw, Operations Manager and Accounting Student," Sept. 19, 2012.
- "Alumnus Ed Scott Appointed as the George Rowland White Endowed Professor of Accounting and Finance," Fall 2012.
- "Accounting Senior Spends Summer Interning for Schneider Downs," Aug. 27, 2012.
- "Accounting and SAEM Double Major Lands Job at PriceWaterhouseCoopers," Jan. 30, 2012.
- "Accounting/SAEM Student Named Financial Executive Scholar," April 4, 2011.