Meet Rachel Iwanonkiw, operations manager and accounting student.
International accounting major Nabat Mammedova landed an internship with C.P.A. firm Maher Duessel.
Pursue an Accounting Career in Downtown Pittsburgh
With the recent focus on corporate accountability, there is no more relevant field than accounting. Accounting is consistently identified as one of the fastest growing professions according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor.
As an accounting major at Point Park, you'll do the course work required to pass the Certified Public Accountant examination. Plus, you'll be ready for a variety of careers in the field.
Upon graduation, you'll have the skills and knowledge to begin a career as a tax preparer, a financial analyst, a corporate or public accountant, an Internal Revenue Service special agent or a forensic accountant for the FBI, among others.
You can also consider our dual B.S./M.B.A. program, which allows you to earn an M.B.A. while fulfilling the new Pennsylvania C.P.A. requirement.
Degrees Offered in the Accounting Major
The following degrees, as well as a minor, are offered in the accounting program:
- Bachelor of Science in accounting (traditional, four year degree)
- Associate in Science in accounting (72 credits)
- Post-baccalaureate in accounting (An additional B.S. degree to your current bachelor's degree)
- Minor in accounting (Available to current Point Park students)
Our Accounting Alumni
Graduates of Point Park's accounting major have gone on to work at:
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Schneider Downs
- Fannie Mae
- University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP
Graduates of Point Park's bachelor's degree in accounting program get an added bonus of six credits toward an M.B.A. degree from Point Park. Take advantage of this credit waiver while fulfilling the following Pennsylvania C.P.A. requirement:
Effective January 1, 2012, individuals pursuing a C.P.A. license in Pa. are now required to have a baccalaureate or higher degree with a completion of 150 credit hours, including at least a total of 36 semester credits of accounting and auditing, business law, finance and tax subjects. Point Park's accounting B.S./M.B.A. program not only fulfills this requirement but provides individuals with a master's degree in as little as one year after earning a bachelor's degree in accounting.
Accounting Major Course Offerings
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in your major. Some of the courses in the accounting program include:
- Managerial/Cost Accounting
- Computer Applications in Accounting
- Tax Accounting
- Cost Accounting Principles
For a comprehensive list of program requirements, see the course descriptions and the links to the program guides at the top of the page.
Accounting Internships in Pittsburgh:
- Arthritis Foundation
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- BDS/Canon Computer Systems
- De Julius & Company Certified Public Accountants
- Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Maher Duessel
- Ernst & Young LLP
- PaineWebber, Inc.
- PNC Bank, N.A.
- PPG Industries
- Schneider Downs
- Scott & McCune Company
Meet Panther Bior, accounting analyst for Bank of New York Mellon.
Accounting alumna Rosemary Coombs landed an internal auditor position at Schneider Downs.
With a degree in accounting, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities, such as:
- Forensic Accounting
- Public Accounting
- Corporate Accounting
- Not-for-Profit Organizations
Point Park Accounting Web Features
- "PA Institute of CPAs Awards Scholarships to Point Park Accounting Students," July 2, 2014
- "Accounting Student Gains Field Experience as Tax Season Intern for Schneider Downs," May 9, 2014.
- "Accounting Student Christopher Cerda Named a 2014 Financial Executives Scholar," April 29, 2014.
- "Meet Darlene Brusco, Accounting Student and Support Specialist for Alcoa," April 21, 2014.
- "International Accounting Student Interns for C.P.A. Firm Maher Duessel," Dec. 18, 2013.
- "Student Accounting Team Wins First Place in Auditing Case Study Competition," Dec. 16, 2013.
- "Point Park Hosts First Accounting Career Awareness Program," Aug. 1, 2013.
- "Point Park Accounting Students Win Multi-Year Scholarships from PICPA," June 27, 2013.
- "Recent Grads Land Jobs with Big Four Accounting Firm," June 4, 2013.
- "Rosemarie Papariella Selected as Point Park's PICPA Outstanding Accounting Senior," May 30, 2013.
- "Student Accounting Association Tours C.P.A. Firm Schneider Downs," April 15, 2013.
- "Accounting Major Awarded Financial Executives International Scholarship," April 3, 2013.
- "School of Business Students Compete as Finalists in Auditing Case Study Competition," Dec. 6, 2012.
- "Student Accounting Association Hosts Speakers from Small and Large Public Accounting Firms," Nov. 28, 2012.
- "Faculty profile: Meet Amy Cesario, Visiting Assistant Professor of Accounting," Sept. 26, 2012.
- "Meet Rachel Iwanonkiw, Operations Manager and Accounting Student," Sept. 19, 2012.
- "Alumnus Ed Scott Appointed as the George Rowland White Endowed Professor of Accounting and Finance," Fall 2012.
- "Accounting Senior Spends Summer Interning for Schneider Downs," Aug. 27, 2012.
- "Accounting and SAEM Double Major Lands Job at PriceWaterhouseCoopers," Jan. 30, 2012.
- "Accounting/SAEM Student Named Financial Executive Scholar," April 4, 2011.