Information technology is consistently ranked as a growing and well-paid career field that is in demand. A 2011 article by CNN ranked IT among the top 10 "Best Jobs in America" based on pay, growth, and available jobs.
Point Park's information technology program provides students with a broad overview of the field while incorporating specialized courses to prepare you for an industry that changes every second.
Extensive lab assignments give you an edge by letting you apply the skills you’ve learned. Internship opportunities allow you to give a real business environment a test run. You can even perfect your talents by working as a Point Park computer lab assistant. We also have a dedicated IT security lab for students.
The following degrees, as well as a minor, are offered in the information technology program:
IT student Justin Smith is selected for internship at Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Bachelor of Science — (traditional, four-year degree)
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Management — (Accelerated, Saturday-only class format, open to candidates with an associate's degree or 60 pre-approved credits).
Choice of concentrations:
- Management: This concentration focuses less on the technical side of information technology and more on preparing students to be IT project managers.
- Information Assurance (IT security): This concentration provides a solid background in general security management, continuity planning, server/network security, and other related areas. Several courses in this concentration are tied to helping students pass the CompTIA SECURITY+ certification exam.
- Post-baccalaureate — (Add a Bachelor of Science degree to your current bachelor's degree).
- Minor in IT — (This is available to current Point Park students).
Meet Denice Withrow, D.Sc., vice president of business technology integration at Bank of America.
Learn how Point Park's IT program helped Cindy Barnett advance in her career path.
Meet Harry Caskey, a 2011 alum and senior system engineer.
2008 alum Carl Skiles is a senior IT security analyst for K&L Gates.
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in your major. The following courses in the information technology program are presented in both theory and application:
- Web Design and Development
- Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
- User Interface Design
- Object-Oriented Programming
- IT for Managers
- Network Design
- Database Systems
- IT Security Issues
IT Project Management
For a comprehensive list of program requirements and course descriptions, see the links at the top of the page to the program guides and view the School of Business course descriptions.
During their time in the IT program, students have the opportunity to intern at various organizations such as:
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Ninja Electronics
- Concurrent Technologies Corporation
- CSG Interactive
- Mt. Washington Community Development Corporation
- The Crons Brand
- Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania
With a degree in information technology, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities, such as:
- Computer systems analyst
- Database administrator
- Network administrator
- Application developer
- Interface design expert
- Computer software engineer
- IT security manager
- IT project manager
- Systems programmer
- Web page designer
- IT consultant
- Website administrator
Graduates of Point Park's information technology program have gone on to work at:
- Izea iPhone Applications
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- U.S. Forest Service
- Innovations Tech
- K & L Gates
- Bank of America
- AAA & W Corporation