Learn why Dormont Deputy Fire Chief Mathew Davis chose Point Park's public administration program.
Public administration 2015 graduate Michael Volpe is promoted to shift commander of Swissvale Fire Dept.
Flight paramedic Peter Frenchak talks about his experiences as a public administration student.
Expand Your Education, Pave the Way for a Promotion
Do you aspire to be manager of a government agency, director of a nonprofit organization or district chief of an EMS department?
Point Park University in Downtown Pittsburgh offers public administration degrees and certificate programs that will prepare you for a career managing government, nonprofit and public service organizations as well as businesses in the health care, environment and energy industries, just to name a few.
Whether you enroll as a full-time, part-time or transfer student, the public administration major at Point Park is offered in flexible formats geared for working adults with busy schedules. Consider this programs as a way to expand your education and pave the way for a promotion.
Note for non-Pennsylvania residents: Point Park University is required to have authorizations to operate in states outside of Pennsylvania. Once you have applied for admission to Point Park, the University will determine our status for the state where you reside, and an admissions counselor will follow up with you directly on the admissions process.
Public Administration Degree Requirements
The public administration program offers a variety of concentrations and minors, many of which have fully online learning options.
B.S. Degree and Concentrations
- Bachelor of Science in public administration - 120 credits, with the following concentrations available:
Certificate (18 credits)
- Public administration - Available in a hybrid format
Minors (18 credits)
- EMS administration - Fully online
- Fire service administration - Fully online
- Public administration - Fully online or in a hybrid format
Point Park tuition discounts are available for the following employees:
National Fire Academy
Students who successfully complete courses in the Fire Service Administration concentration listed above are eligible to receive course completion certificates from the National Fire Academy.
Point Park's public administration program is the first institution in Pennsylvania — and one of only 13 colleges and universities nationwide — to be recognized by the U.S. Fire Administration for its concentrations in fire service administration and emergency medical services administration. Learn more.
Public Administration Courses
Some of the courses in the public administration major include:
- Public Budget and Finance
- Policy and Decision Analysis
- Theories of Public Organizations
- Principles of Management
- Managing Non-Profit Organizations
- Disaster and Emergency Management
- EMS Community Risk Reduction
- Planning and Change in Public Organizations
- Special Employee Relations
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Advanced Seminar in Applied Public Management
For a comprehensive list of program requirements and course descriptions, see the links to the program guides at the top of the page and the School of Business course descriptions.
Public Administration Jobs
With a degree or certificate in public administration, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities, such as:
- City Manager
- Director of Public Works
- Department Head, County Government
- Deputy Mayor
- State or Federal Agency Director
- Disaster and Emergency Services Manager
- Community Affairs Manager
- Non-Profit Administrator
- Grant Writer
- Public Policy Analyst
- Health Care Administrator
Graduates of Point Park's public administration program have gone on to work in:
- Local Government: City of Pittsburgh, Dormont Borough, Moon Township, Municipality of Monroeville, Municipality of Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley Township, South Park Township, Town of McCandless, Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority and City of Winchester, Va.
- County and State Government: Allegheny County, Butler County, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, Westmoreland County
- Federal Government: Federal Bureau of Investigation, Federal Reserve Board, Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration, U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Treasury
- Non-Profit Organizations: Highmark, Point Park University, UPMC, Allegheny Health Network and iCarnegie Global Learning
Program Director and Faculty
The director of the public administration program is Associate Professor Robert Skertich, Ph.D.
Learn more about the faculty: "Public Administration Instructors Mix Academics with Real-World Experience."