Motivating and Inspiring Students Early
The BOLD Program is part of the Urban Accounting and Finance Initiative at Point Park University and includes a series of hands-on, real-world career awareness, preparation, acquirement and exposure experiences for middle school students in urban schools.
Currently, the BOLD Program is providing these experiences to middle school students at the Manchester Academic Charter School.
These experiences include:
- A guided tour of Point Park's campus in Downtown Pittsburgh;
In the News
Check out The Pittsburgh New Courier's coverage of the BOLD program's second anniversary celebration dinner on April 30, 2014.
- "Business-Bound" summer camps for students entering seventh grade who have participated in the career exploration sessions; and
- Reduced tuition scholarships for individuals who are interested in pursuing certificate or degree programs at Point Park University and who meet the University's admissions requirements.
BOLD activities are conducted by Point Park University faculty and staff as well as professionals in the Pittsburgh region who work in the fields of accounting and finance.
The Goals of BOLD
The top three goals of the BOLD Program are to:
- Educate our youth of the many career pathways in the accounting and finance field;
- Build the skills needed to pursue a productive lifestyle in the global economy; and
- Emphasize the importance of a personal career plan.
Photos from BOLD Career Exploration Sessions
The mentors of BOLD are local accounting and finance professionals who work with students in the program to help them develop fundamental skills toward their future. As an example, here is a curriculum used by a BOLD mentor conducting one of the career exploration sessions.
- Fred Massey, C.P.A., CEO of Familylinks
- Mary Ellen Sullivan, Vice President at PNC Bank
- Michael Jasper, M.B.A., Vice President of Enterprise Performance Analysis at PNC
- Christopher Spradley, Account Executive at Health America
- Lynwood Mitchell, Vice President of Business Banking Treasury Management, PNC
- Eric Dickerson, M.B.A., Vice President Treasury Consultant, PNC
- Terry Collier, C.P.A., President, Terry Collier and Associates
- David Hopkins, M.B.A., Principal, Capital Solutions for Community Reinvestment
- Anthony Henry, J.D., M.B.A., Vice President of Underwriting, The Bank of New York Mellon
- Howard Slaughter, M.B.A., DSC President and CEO, Christian Management Enterprises, LLC.
BOLD mentors have presented on themes such as:
- Accounting and finance careers
- Understanding the difference between "wants" and "needs"
- Interview skills
- The process to getting a job
- Understanding checking and savings
- Work habits
- Time management
- Short and long-term effects of various savings and time investment choices
- Definition of a successful entrepreneur
- Age-related career opportunities
For more information, school principals, guidance counselors, parents and other interested individuals can contact Herman L. Reid Jr., Ed.D., director of academic and economic development at Point Park University, at 412-392-8175 or firstname.lastname@example.org.