How to Apply to the Cinema Arts Program
In order to apply and be admitted into the cinema production, animation and visual effects or screenwriting program, prospective students must go through a two-step process:
- Academic admittance: Apply to Point Park Admission Office for academic admittance (Apply to Point Park if you have not already submitted an application).
- Artistic admittance: Submit an artistic portfolio using our online process. Applicants are required to create an account to begin the online submission process. Start the online artistic portfolio submission process.
Video: Artistic Portfolio Submission
Artistic Portfolio Guidelines
Your artistic portfolio should include the following:
A. Personal Essay
Your personal essay should be 550-750 words and may include (but not limited to):
- Professional and artistic goals
- Description of who you are as a person
- Discussion of the types of films, art and/or stories you are interested in creating
B. Creative Resume
Your creative resume can include any work that reflects your creative ability, such as:
- Media arts (film, video, animation, graphics, photography, music)
- Creative writing (short stories, essays, film/play scripts)
- Studio arts (drawing, painting, sculpting, set design)
- Performance (acting, singing, dancing)
Listed work should include a brief description of the work, year of completion and your role in its creation.
C. Creative Work Sample
Cinema production, animation and visual effects or screenwriting applicants can provide 1-5 sample(s) of your creative work that best demonstrates your abilities including (but are not limited to):
- Video, animation, visual effects works, etc.
- Music, soundscapes, etc.
- Writing samples: film/play scripts, essays, short stories, creative writing pieces, etc.
- Visual arts work in the form of fine arts work (paintings, drawings, sculpture etc.) photography, graphic design, etc.
Once you have submitted your artistic portfolio, you will be contacted to schedule an interview by phone, Skype or in person with a cinema department faculty member. The interview is fairly relaxed, and offers you a chance to ask questions about the program and for the interviewer to ask questions of you about your creative interests and work.
Successful applicants must be artistically admitted into the cinema arts program and academically admitted into the University. Applicants will not receive their artistic decision until they have received an academic decision from the Office of Admission.
Cinema arts students will receive notification of admission to the major and the artistic achievement award on a rolling basis. That is, candidates will be notified of their artistic admission and artistic achievement award as the academic admission and artistic decisions are made.
Candidates will be notified both by email and letter of the admission decision.
Full financial aid awards will be sent by March 15, 2016 provided the financial aid application (FAFSA) is completed and received by the Point Park University Financial Aid Office.
If you have any questions regarding the cinema application process, please contact the Conservatory of Performing Arts at 412-392-3451 or firstname.lastname@example.org.