How to Apply to the Cinema Arts Program
In order to apply and be admitted into the cinema production, animation and visual effects or screenwriting program, prospective students must go through a two-step process:
- Academic admittance: Apply to Point Park Admission Office for academic admittance (Apply to Point Park if you have not already submitted an application).
- Artistic admittance: Submit your artistic portfolio. Applicants are required to submit their portfolio via digital submission through Acceptd via Point Park University's Acceptd home page.
PLEASE NOTE: An in-person, portfolio interview is no longer mandatory for cinema applicants. Cinema portfolios will now be reviewed by the faculty upon receipt and applicants will be notified of artistic decision and possible artistic achievement award as academic and artistic decisions are made. The cinema faculty reserve the right to request a phone or in-person interview as necessary; however, it is no longer mandatory unless requested by the faculty.
Artistic Portfolio Guidelines
Your artistic portfolio should include the following:
A. Personal Essay
Your personal essay should be 550-750 words and may include (but not limited to):
- Professional and artistic goals
- Description of who you are as a person
- Discussion of the types of films, art and/or stories you are interested in creating
B. Creative Resume
Your creative resume can include any work that reflects your creative ability, such as:
- Media arts (film, video, animation, graphics, photography, music)
- Creative writing (short stories, essays, film/play scripts)
- Studio arts (drawing, painting, sculpting, set design)
- Performance (acting, singing, dancing)
Listed work should include a brief description of the work, year of completion and your role in its creation.
C. Creative Work Sample
Cinema production, animation and visual effects or screenwriting applicants can provide 1-5 sample(s) of your creative work that best demonstrates your abilities including (but are not limited to):
- Video, animation, visual effects works, etc.
- Music, soundscapes, etc.
- Writing samples: film/play scripts, essays, short stories, creative writing pieces, etc.
- Visual arts work in the form of fine arts work (paintings, drawings, sculpture etc.) photography, graphic design, etc.
If you have any questions regarding the cinema application process, please contact the Conservatory of Performing Arts at 412-392-3451 or firstname.lastname@example.org.