Major in Cinema Production
The cinema production major offers a hand-on education in filmmaking, with collaboration at its core. In our production-focused degree programs, students begin producing creative work day one using state-of-the-art equipment, including the latest cameras and editing systems.
Filmmakers learn the skills necessary to communicate their vision, so they can bring their ideas to the screen. Production courses are designed to model real-world production environments, with students from a variety of disciplines collaborating to produce professional-quality films.
The cinema production major helps students flow seamlessly from the student film set to the professional set, and from the university editing lab to the professional post-production house.
For both the B.A. and B.F.A. degrees, students spend their first two years learning the fundamental craft of cinema production in our narrative-based program.
B.F.A in Cinema Production
- A production-intensive filmmaking degree that allows students to gain a deeper education in one discipline of cinema production and a broader grounding in art forms related to cinema arts.
- Junior and senior B.F.A. students select a concentration for advanced practice — directing, producing, editing, cinematography or sound — and conclude their degree with a thesis film as their capstone project.
- B.F.A. students are required to complete 129 credits.
B.A. in Cinema Production
- A production-oriented filmmaking degree that allows students more flexibility in structuring their education, with fewer courses in the major, and no thesis film requirement.
- With greater flexibility students can pursue study abroad opportunities, double-major, or complete their degrees in less than four years, making it a good option for transfer students.
- B.A. students are required to complete 120 credits.
Cinema Production Major Course Descriptions
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in the cinema production major. For a comprehensive list of cinema production program requirements and course descriptions, see the program guide links at the top of the page and the cinema arts course descriptions.
Video: Hear from Cinema Arts Students