Major in Screenwriting
The screenwriting program emphasizes a balance of hands-on work in the development of scripts along with the study and theory of storytelling. Screenwriters participate in workshop settings, providing and receiving feedback from peers and instructors.
Collaboration and Integration
The program provides opportunities for collaboration with other writers, filmmakers and animators. Screenwriters see their ideas brought to life on the screen and gain intimate knowledge of the industry and its structure. Writers will also have the opportunity to make films, and, by directing actors and composing shots, they can more fully realize the possibilities of visual storytelling.
Students will explore and write:
- Feature screenplays
- Television scripts
- Web series scripts
- Video game documents
- Stage plays
Degree Program Options
B.F.A. in Screenwriting
- The B.F.A. in screenwriting offers a rigorous immersion into the craft of screenwriting, requiring students to participate in a year-long thesis course and to create a portfolio of materials.
- Students complete work in at least three specialized areas: feature film, sitcom, animation, web series, etc.
- B.F.A. students are required to complete 128 credits.
B.A. in Screenwriting
- The B.A. in screenwriting offers more flexibility in completion and couples well with Point Park's M.F.A. in writing for the screen and stage program.
- Students write feature screenplays, television scripts, web series scripts, video game documents and stage plays.
- B.A. students are required to complete 120 credits.
Screenwriting Course Offerings
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in the screenwriting major. Some of the courses in the screenwriting program include:
- Acting and Directing for Writers
- Advanced Narrative Structure
- Classical and Modern Drama
- Intermediate and Advanced Screenwriting
- Rewriting the Feature Screenplay
- Story Analysis
- Writing the Adaptation
- Writing the Hour Drama
- Writing for Multimedia
- Writing the Situation Comedy
For a comprehensive list of program requirements and course descriptions, see the program guide links at the top of the page and the Cinema Arts course descriptions.
Video: Screenwriting Program