Senior Teaching Artist
- B.A., Film/Television Production, Penn State University
- Production I, II, III and IV
- Intermediate Cinematography
- Documentary Production Workshop
- Advanced Cinematography
- Special Topics
John Rice began his career in feature films working on George Romero’s zombie classic Dawn of the Dead. As director and director of photography, his commercial work has garnered Clio, Addy, Mobius and Art Director's Club awards. His work as director of photography for features and documentaries has been broadcast nationally on PBS, and screened at the Sundance Film Festival and numerous other film festivals around the world.
Recent work directed by Rice includes: Dumpster, Milk Crate and Mr. Pleasant. His most recent collaboration with poet Jim Daniels is the short film, The End of Blessings.
Rice frequently collaborates with Tony Buba on documentary projects. Ghosts of Amistad, In the Footsteps of the Rebels will air on more than 80 PBS affiliates nationwide in February 2016. The film came from their 2013 trip to Sierra Leone with historian Marcus Rediker.
- Silk Screen: Asian Arts & Culture Organization
Selected Artistic Works
- The End of Blessings, Director/Director of Photography/Editor, 2015
- Crimes of Pittsburgh, Director of Photography/Camera Operator, 2014
- Ghosts of Amistad, Director of Photography/Camera Operator, 2013
- Mr. Pleasant, Director, 2010
- Milk Crate, Writer/Director/Director of Photography, 2008
- Dumpster, Director, 2005
- Director's Choice Award, The End of Blessings, Black Maria Film Festival, 2016
- Second Place, Shorts Competition, The End of Blessings, Three Rivers Film Festival, 2015
- Best Editing, The End of Blessings, Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival, 2015
- The End of Blessings, Athens International Video Poetry Festival, 2014
- Best Drama/Comedy, Dumpster, The Indie Gathering Festival, 2006
- Best International Comedy, Mid length, Dumpster, Calgary Fringe Festival, 2006
- Best Drama Feature, Programmer's Award, Dumpster, 2006
- Second Place, Feature, Dumpster, Secret City Film Festival, 2006
- Silver Medal, Best Film Under 75 Minutes, Dumpster, Everglades International Film Festival, 2007
- Honorable Mention, Mr. Pleasant, Los Angeles Reel Film Festival and Columbus International Film Festival, 2011
- Honorable Mention, Best Ensemble Cast, Mr. Pleasant, L.A. Independent Filmmakers Showcase, 2012
Point Park Feature
- "Faculty Q&A: Meet John Rice, Senior Teaching Artist, Cinema Arts," Point Park website, March 21, 2013.