Beverly Cole interned at Mosaic Media and has gone on to work on several film and TV sets. Read her story.
Katie Woolridge landed a job on Transformers 3 through connections made during an internship at the Pittsburgh Film Office. Read her story.
There are numerous opportunities to gain real-world experience in the film industry right here in Pittsburgh. More than 50 feature films have been shot here in the past decade, including Adventureland, The Next Three Days, and One for the Money. Learn more about Pittsburgh's film scene.
Pittsburgh also has several industry-related businesses, including production studios, casting agencies and TV stations where you can intern to gain hands-on experience and make industry connections that can lead to future jobs.
Students in the program have also interned and worked on film and TV sets, production houses and studios in Los Angeles, New York and other locations across the country.
Cinema students have interned/worked at:
- Animal Productions (Pittsburgh)
- Carnegie Mellon University's marketing department
- Disney Studios (Orlando)
- KDKA (CBS affiliate in Pittsburgh)
- Lionsgate (Los Angeles)
- Mosaic Media (Los Angeles)
- Mind Over Media Productions (Pittsburgh)
- Nu Image Films (Los Angeles)
- Pacific Soundwaves (Los Angeles)
- Pittsburgh Film Office
- PMI Digital (Pittsburgh)
- PNC Bank Marketing & Communications Department
- Red Giant Media (New York City)
- Remote Control Productions/Hans Zimmer (Los Angeles)
- Sets of feature films and TV productions (see list)
- WQED (Pittsburgh)
The programs in Cinema Arts are designed to model a real-world production environment and provide hands-on experience. We place a strong emphasis on collaboration and interdisciplinary study, and during your four years, you will work with students in other concentrations to create works for the big and small screen.
Watch the videos below for a look behind the scenes of the Production III class, where students work in groups to produce a narrative or documentary short. Each project is a collaborative effort, created with the involvement of a student screenwriter, producer, director, cinematographer, editor and sound designer.