Studios and Classrooms
Theatre and academic classes are held in classrooms and studios on Point Park's main campus in Downtown, as well as at The Pittsburgh Playhouse in Oakland. Classrooms and studios on the main campus include:
- Boulevard Studios
- Classrooms, piano lab and studios in Lawrence Hall
- Classrooms in Patterson Building
- Classrooms and private voice studios on the lower level of Thayer Hall
- Classrooms and the GRW Theater in the University Center
The Pittsburgh Playhouse
The Pittsburgh Playhouse is the performing arts center of Point Park University and the Conservatory of Performing Arts, and performance students will have the opportunity to grace the same stages as Gene Kelly, Shirley Jones and Melina Kanakaredes.
The Pittsburgh Playhouse is located in the neighborhood of
Oakland, and a free shuttle service is provided by the University.
The Playhouse is used by the theatre department as a performance facility, as well as a classroom. It provides conservatory students the unique opportunity to work in a professional setting while learning their craft.
The three-theater complex is home to The REP — the professional theatre company — and three student companies: Conservatory Theatre Company, Conservatory Dance Company and Playhouse Jr.
Seating capacities for the theaters are as follows:
- Rockwell Theater: more than 400
- Rauh Theater: 235
- Studio Theater: 60–65
The Pittsburgh Playhouse maintains a rigorous performance calendar, entertaining more than 30,000 patrons annually.
The Playhouse is currently located in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Oakland, but it is scheduled to move downtown as part of Phase II of Point Park’s Academic Village.
Point Park University's Dance Complex
This $16 million complex opened in 2008 in the heart of Downtown Pittsburgh. It is a Gold LEED-certified building and one of the few green arts facilities in the region. The 44,000-square-foot complex includes:
- Four floors with extra-height ceilings, comparable in size to a six-story building
- Five studios for rehearsals and performances, with space for three additional studios (all studios are compliant with all National Association of Schools of Dance and industry-specific requirements)
- State-of-the-art heating and cooling systems, ventilation, flooring, lighting, acoustics and equipment
- On-site student lockers, showers, changing spaces and bike racks
For more information, check out the campus map that shows these facilities, as well as other key locations.