Studios and Classrooms
Theatre and academic classes are held in classrooms and studios on Point Park's main campus in Downtown, as well as at The Pittsburgh Playhouse in Oakland. Classrooms and studios on the main campus include:
- Boulevard Studios
- Classrooms, piano lab and studios in Lawrence Hall
- Classrooms in Patterson Building
- Classrooms and private voice studios on the lower level of Thayer Hall
- Classrooms and the GRW Theater in the University Center
The Pittsburgh Playhouse
The Pittsburgh Playhouse is the performing arts center of Point Park University and the Conservatory of Performing Arts. The playhouse is currently located in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Oakland, but is scheduled to move Downtown in 2018. The new playhouse will be a 24/7 operation with three different academic theatre spaces, a large scene shop, sound stage, prop shop, costume shop and café. It will become the heartbeat of Downtown Pittsburgh.
The three-theater complex is home to The REP — the professional theatre company — and three student companies: Conservatory Theatre Company, Conservatory Dance Company and Playhouse Jr.
Seating capacities for the theaters are as follows:
- Rockwell Theater: more than 400
- Rauh Theater: 235
- Studio Theater: 60–65
The Pittsburgh Playhouse maintains a rigorous performance calendar, entertaining more than 30,000 patrons annually.
Point Park University's Dance Complex
This $16 million dance complex opened in 2008 in the heart of Downtown Pittsburgh. It is a Gold LEED-certified building and one of the few green arts facilities in the region. The 44,000-square-foot complex includes:
- Four floors with extra-height ceilings, comparable in size to a six-story building
- Five studios for rehearsals and performances, with space for three additional studios (all studios are compliant with all National Association of Schools of Dance and industry-specific requirements)
- State-of-the-art heating and cooling systems, ventilation, flooring, lighting, acoustics and equipment
- On-site student lockers, showers, changing spaces and bike racks
For more information, check out the campus map that shows these facilities, as well as other key locations.