Professor and Chair, Department of Education
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics and Rhetoric/Speech Communications, University of Pittsburgh
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics/Secondary Education, Point Park University
- Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Philosophy, Curriculum and Instruction, Preston University
- All course work completed toward Ed.D., University of Pittsburgh
- Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching Science and Health
- Mathematical Experience
- General Mathematics
- Basic Algebra
- College Algebra
- Elementary Statistics
- The University Experience - Education
- Advanced Practicum - Instructional Studies
Darlene Marnich, Ph.D., began her career at Point Park in 1981 with the position of assistant to the dean of curricular administration. In 1982, she took the position of assistant to the chair of the Department of Natural Sciences and Engineering Technology and also began teaching mathematics classes as an adjunct instructor. Based on the success she had in the classroom, she began teaching more each semester. Now a full-time professor, Marnich has served as the chair of the education department for the past five years.
As chair, Marnich has helped the education department reach a number of accomplishments including certifications for new programs in Pre-K through Grade 4 and Grade 4 through Grade 8, two new special education programs (Pre-K through Grade 8 and Grade 7 through Grade 12), two new master's degree programs (Teaching and Leadership and Secondary Education leading to Pa. certification) and a new English as a Second Language Certificate program at the graduate level.
Pennsylvania Teaching Certifications
- Middle School Mathematics
- Secondary Mathematics
- Presented "Marketing for Dual Certification for Secondary and Special Education," State Personnel Development Grant conference, March 2011
- Presented "Dual Certification for Secondary and Special Education" State Personnel Development Grant conference, Nov. 2010
- "Higher Education Faculty Development Using Technology - Staying on the 'Cutting Edge,'" Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators conference," Oct. 2010
- Presented "Student Teaching Portfolios with Technology" Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators conference," Oct. 2010
- "Creating Secondary Education/Special Education Dual Certification Programs," Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network conference, March 2010
- "Building a Professional Development School from Conception through Year One," Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators conference, Oct. 2008
- Mathematics Council of Western Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators, Dean's Forum
- Southwest Regional Key, Higher Education Sub-Committee
- Community College of Allegheny County, Education Advisory Board
- School District University Collaborative, Executive Committee
Point Park Features
- "Math Symposium introduces students to Ancient Chinese surveying," Point Park News Service, Nov. 30, 2012.
- "Point Park hosts inaugural mathematics symposium for high school students," Point Park University website, Nov. 13, 2012.
- "Innovative Programs Prepare Teachers in Special Education," Point Park University website, March 2011.