Take on a Leadership Role in Education with a Degree in Curriculum and Instruction
Point Park University's Master of Arts in curriculum and instruction degree program is designed to accommodate teaching professionals as well as other professionals working in higher education or adult education and training. This master's program shifts the focus of course work from theory to pragmatic application to best serve educators.
Alumnus Paul Cindric implements his curriculum and instruction expertise at Allegheny Intermediate Unit.
Curriculum and instruction course helps alumna Preeti Juneja land a position as a college instructor.
Choose Your Learning Style: Downtown Campus, Hybrid or Fully Online
Our master's degree in curriculum and instruction is conveniently offered in a variety of delivery formats, allowing students to customize their learning experience.
Choose from one of the following three delivery formats:
Downtown campus: All face-to-face classes at Point Park University's campus in Downtown Pittsburgh
Hybrid: A combination of online and face-to-face classes at your choice of one of the following locations: Cranberry area, Southpointe area, Monroeville area or Point Park's campus in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Fully online: An active and engaging online courseroom environment that includes assignments, materials, discussion threads, assessments and/or group activities done electronically
Students can choose from one of the following concentrations:
Adult learning and training
Today’s workplace features diverse populations of adult learners. Be prepared for the challenges of training, teaching and administering programs for many different styles of learning. Gain advanced professional skills in the areas of adult learning and administration, leadership and program management. Learn more.
Teaching and leadership
Improve and update your teaching skills while receiving the training to become a leader in the education profession. Teacher leadership, a key component of school improvement efforts, is a guiding principle. This concentration will provide you with the knowledge base and experience to enable students to face these challenges. Learn more about this concentration.
PA Certification as a Supervisor of K-12 Curriculum and Instruction
Develop curricula for content areas that incorporate diverse learner populations and settings. This concentration is for professional educators with at least five years of successful teaching experience who wish to earn both a master’s degree and Pennsylvania certification as a supervisor of K-12 curriculum and instruction. Learn more about this concentration.
Curriculum and Instruction Program Objectives
- To provide professional educators with a thorough understanding of educational theories while emphasizing collaborative, hands-on, learning which uses appropriate technologies;
- To prepare professional educators to develop curricula for content areas that incorporate diverse learner populations and settings across the lifespan;
- To prepare professional educators to develop appropriate and effective instructional methods which address the needs of diverse student populations across content area and in a variety of classroom settings; and
- To prepare professional educators to successfully address contemporary educational issues such as: effective classroom and behavior management; diversity issues; learning styles and differentiated instruction; and integration of technology across the curriculum.
Curriculum and Instruction Course Offerings
Some of the courses in the Master of Arts in curriculum and instruction graduate program include:
- Instructional Methods
- Technological Applications Across the Curriculum
- Human Diversity Issues in Education
- Human Behavior and Classroom Management
- Issues in Adult Education
- 21st Century Schools
Courses in the curriculum and instruction graduate program are taught by faculty who have years of real-world experience as teachers, principals, superintendents and other education administrators.
For details on Point Park University tuition and fees for 2015-16, please visit our tuition and fees page.