Choose from four subject-area concentrations
This program will prepare you to teach children in grades 4 through 8. Students choose one of four subject-area concentrations — English, math, science or social studies. You’ll take 30 credits in your specialty area and then round out your academic credentials with at least 12 credits in each of the other three concentrations.
Meet Point Park education major, Rachel Roddy.
Students are eligible to apply for the Instructional I Certificate issued by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania if they have:
- Successfully completed the program leading to certification;
- Passed the required PRAXIS exams, and
- Demonstrated competence in student teaching.
Special Education Dual Certification Option
In addition to the initial certification program, Point Park education students can choose to simultaneously complete the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s requirements for special education certification. The program guides below outline the courses required for the dual certification.
Required Course Work
Our program guides list the course work students must complete for any particular academic degree program. Follow the links below to see requirements for each 4th grade - 8th grade subject-area concentration, along with the special education dual certificate option.
- English | English with Special Education Dual Certification
- Math | Math with Special Education Dual Certification
- Science | Science with Special Education Dual Certification
- Social Studies | Social Studies with Special Education Dual Certification