Read the story about how Point Park's elementary education majors took students on field trips around Pittsburgh.
Become an Elementary Education Major at Pittsburgh's Only Downtown University
Elementary education alums land teaching positions in Arcadia, Fla.
The elementary education degree program at Point Park University prepares students to teach children from Pre-Kindergarten through 4th grade in Pennsylvania’s public school systems.
Students become eligible to apply for the Instructional I Certificate, issued by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, if they have:
- Successfully completed the program leading to certification;
- Passed the required PRAXIS exams; and
- Demonstrated competence in student teaching.
Special Education Dual Certification Option
In addition to the initial certification program, Point Park elementary education students can choose to simultaneously complete the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s requirements for special education certification. The Bachelor of Arts in Education: Pre-K through 4th grade program guide outlines the courses required to obtain the dual certification.
Elementary Education Course Offerings
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in the elementary education major. Some of the courses in the program include:
- Family and Community Diversity
- Reading Methods I and II
- Methods of Language Arts
- Educational Theories and Practices
- Integrating Curriculum and Instruction
- High Incidence Disabilities/Autism Spectrum Disorders (dual certification only)