Preparation to teach grades 7 - 12
Earn a Degree in Secondary Education at Pittsburgh's Only Downtown University
Point Park's secondary education programs are unique because they are a collaborative effort among various departments in the University. In this major, you will have the opportunity to integrate academic content courses in your chosen subject area — biological sciences, citizenship, English or mathematics — with courses in education. Ultimately, you’ll combine your academic programs with certification courses, so you’re ready to teach in grades 7 through 12.
You will explore subjects like assessment and adaptations, technological literacy for teaching, literacy and learning in secondary school, in-depth content area exploration and have a student teaching practicum. And you will benefit from state-of-the-art resources and a variety of choices for student teaching placements, which will prepare you to teach most anywhere.
Students are eligible to apply for the Instructional I Certificate issued by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania if they have:
- Successfully completed the program leading to certification;
- Passed the required PRAXIS exams; and
- Demonstrated competence in student teaching.
Special Education Dual Certification Option for Secondary Education Majors
In addition to the initial certification program, Point Park education students can choose to simultaneously complete the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s requirements for special education certification. The program guides below outline the courses required for the dual certification.
The secondary education program offers study in the following areas, with required course work listed in the corresponding program guides:
- BIOLOGY: Freshmen | Freshmen w/ special ed. dual cert. | Transfer | Transfer w/special ed. dual cert.
- CITIZENSHIP: Freshmen | Freshmen w/ special ed dual cert. | Transfer | Transfer w/ special ed dual cert
- ENGLISH: Freshmen | Freshmen w/ special ed dual cert. | Transfer | Transfer w/ special ed dual cert.
Point Park's secondary education degrees are also available as post-baccalaureate programs.