Preparation to teach grades 7 - 12
Point Park's secondary education programs are unique because they are a collaborative effort among various departments in the University. In this major, you will have the opportunity to integrate academic content courses in your chosen subject area — biological sciences, citizenship, English, mass communication or mathematics — with courses in education. Ultimately, you’ll combine your academic programs with certification courses, so you’re ready to teach in grades 7 through 12.
You will explore subjects like assessment and adaptations, technological literacy for teaching, literacy and learning in secondary school, in-depth content area exploration and have a student teaching practicum.
You will benefit from state-of-the-art resources and a variety of choices for student teaching placements, which will prepare you to teach most anywhere.
Students are eligible to apply for the Instructional I Certificate issued by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania if they have:
- Successfully completed the program leading to certification;
- Passed the required PRAXIS exams; and
- Demonstrated competence in student teaching.
Special Education Dual Certification Option
In addition to the initial certification program, Point Park education students can choose to simultaneously complete the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s requirements for special education certification. The program guides below outline the courses required for the dual certification.
Required Course Work
The secondary education program offers study in the following areas, with required course work listed in the corresponding program guides:
- Biological Sciences | Biological Sciences with Special Education Dual Certification
- Citizenship | Citizenship with Special Education Dual Certification
- English | English with Special Education Dual Certification
- Mass Communication | Mass Communication with Special Education Dual Certification
- Mathematics | Mathematics with Special Education Dual Certification
The secondary education degrees are also available as post-baccalaureate programs.