Associate Professor, Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Montclair State University
- Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology, Duquesne University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Psychology, Duquesne University
- Research in the Human Sciences
- Psychology of Consciousness
- Social Psychology
- Critical Approaches to Psychology
- Interpersonal Relations
- Seminar in the Human Sciences
- Institutional Practicum
Robert G. McInerney, Ph.D., joined the Point Park University faculty in 2006 and is currently an associate professor of psychology. He received his M.A. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Duquesne University and did both his pre- and post-doctoral training as a psychotherapist at Carnegie Mellon Counseling and Psychological Services. McInerney received certification in human science research from the Center for Interpretive and Qualitative Research at Duquesne University in 2008. His interests are in hermeneutic phenomenology, social constructionism, post-structural psychology, community psychology and neurophenomenology.
McInerney founded and advises the Point Park's Confluence Psychology Alliance. McInerney is on the editorial board of The Journal of Humanistic Psychology and served as the co-chair of the Fifth Annual Society for Humanistic Psychology conference held at Point Park University in the spring of 2012. Currently (2015), McInerney is the lead analyst, supervisor of research and community practicum coordinator with Operation Safety Net (Pittsburgh Mercy Health System). McInerney's role includes ongoing advocate ethnography and community-based, participatory action research.
- Certification in Interpretive and Qualitative Research: Center for Interpretive and Qualitative Research, Duquesne University
- McInerney, R.G. (2015). A Phenomenological Account of the Shooting Spree. Janus Head, (13) 2, 45-60.
- McInerney, R.G. and Goss, R. (2015). Threshold Researchers in the Community: Toward a Queering Practice as a Hermeneutic of Love. Journal of Humanistic Psychology.
- McInerney, R.G. (2015). A hermeneutics of love for community based, participatory action research. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, (1), 1-23.
- McInerney, R.G. (2013). Neurophenomenological Praxis: Its Applications to Learning and Pedagogy (Chapter) in Neurophenomenology: Its Applications to Psychology. Springer Publishers.
- McInerney, R.G. (2013). Neurophenomenology. The Encyclopedia of Critical Psychology.
- McInerney, R.G. (2013). A Brief Phenomenological Account of the Shooting Spree. The New Existentialists.
- McInerney, R.G. (2012). On the Movement and Interrelation of Youth and Diversity. The New Existentialists.
- McInerney, R. (2011). Book review: A Transcontinental Journey Brings Transcendental Understanding. Existential Psychology East-West. Edited by Louis Hoffman, Mark Yang, Francis J. Kaklauskas & Albert Chan, Colorado Springs: University of the Rockies Press. Janus Head: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature.
- McInerney, R.G. (2010). Oz Never Did Give Nothing to the … Scarecrow: Neurophenomenology and Critical Pedagogy. Phenomenology and Practice, 4 (1), 68-87.
- McInerney, R.G. A Hermeneutics of Love for Community Research: Suffering and Acting on the Trembling Ground of Humility, The Society of Humanistic Psychology, APA Division 32 Annual Conference, Pacifica Graduate Institute: Community in Difference: Cultivating a Home for Love and Justice in an Indifferent World, Feb. 28 — March 3, 2013.
- McInerney, R.G. Agency and the Neurophenomenological Self: Anecdotes of Privacy, Sociality, Habit and Distinction. Presented at the 2012, American Psychological Association Convention, Aug. 2-5, 2012, Orlando, Fla.
- McInerney, R.G. Visual Representations of Childhood Mental Disorder: A Critical Discourse and Semiotic Analysis of Media Images. Presented at the 2011, American Psychological Association Convention, Aug. 4-7, 2011, Washington, D.C.
- McInerney, R.G. The Discursive Construction of Childhood Consciousness: Improperly Mooded, Out of Control, Split, and Monstrous. Presented at the 119th, 2011 American Psychological Association, Hospitality Suite, The Society for Humanistic Psychology, Aug. 4-7, 2011.
- McInerney, R.G. Aspiration and Inspiration: The Psychological Life of Being a Student, presented at In the World...On the Edge 2011 Annual Conference of The Society for Humanistic Psychology, Division 32 of the American Psychological Association, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. April 15-17, 2011.
- McInerney, R.G. Herman Hesse's Siddhartha and Humanistic Psychology. Presented at In the World...On the Edge 2011 Annual Conference of The Society for Humanistic Psychology, Division 32 of the American Psychological Association, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. April 15-17, 2011.
- Hermeneutic phenomenology
- Social constructionism
- Post-structural psychology
- Community psychology
In the News
- "School communities should be inspiring the dignity of learning," Voices of Point Park series in the Pittsburgh Business Times, Sept. 13, 2013.
Point Park Features
- "Art Show Organized by Students and OSN Brings Homelessness to the Forefront," Point Park University website, April 28, 2016.
- "Psychology Students and Faculty Present Research at Conference in Chicago," Point Park University website, April 10, 2015.
- "Professor to Offer M.A. in Clinical-Community Psychology Demo Class," Point Park University website, May 16, 2014.
- "Confluence Psychology Alliance Student Group Visits Pittsburgh Action Against Rape," Point Park University website, Oct. 21, 2013.
- "Professors Present on Hermeneutics of Love at Psychology Conference," Point Park University website, March 25, 2013.
- "Confluence Psychology Alliance Student Group Hosts Annual Undergraduate Research Conference," Point Park University website, Dec. 19, 2012.
- "Point Park to Offer Master's Degree in Clinical-Community Psychology," Point Park University website, Oct. 10, 2012.
- "Psychology Department Hosts National Conference, Builds Programs," The Point, Spring 2012.
- "National Psychology Conference Allows Students to Showcase Their Original Research and Meet Scholars," Point University website, April 26, 2012.