Associate Professor, Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Montclair State University
- Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology, Duquesne University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Psychology, Duquesne University
- Research in the Human Sciences
- Psychology of Consciousness
- Social Psychology
- Critical Approaches to Psychology
- Interpersonal Relations
- Seminar in the Human Sciences
- Institutional Practicum
Robert G. McInerney joined the Point Park University faculty in 2006 and is currently an associate professor of psychology. He received his M.A. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from Duquesne University and did both his pre- and post-doctoral training as a psychotherapist at Carnegie Mellon Counseling and Psychological Services. McInerney received certification in human science research from the Center for Interpretive and Qualitative Research at Duquesne University in 2008. His interests are in hermeneutic phenomenology, social constructionism, post-structural psychology, community psychology and neurophenomenology.
McInerney founded and advises the Point Park's Confluence Psychology Alliance. McInerney is on the editorial board of The Journal of Humanistic Psychology and served as the co-chair of the Fifth Annual Society for Humanistic Psychology conference held at Point Park University in the spring of 2012.
- Certification in Interpretive and Qualitative Research: Center for Interpretive and Qualitative Research, Duquesne University
- McInerney, R.G. (2013). Neurophenomenology. The Encyclopedia of Critical Psychology.
- McInerney, R.G. (2012). On the Movement and Interrelation of Youth and Diversity.The New Existentialists.
- McInerney, R.G. [Forthcoming]. Neurophenomenological Praxis: Its Applications to Learning and Pedagogy (Chapter) in Neurophenomenology: Its Applications to Psychology. Springer Publishers.
- McInerney, R. [Forthcoming]. Using Neuropsychology to Enhance Existential Psychotherapy in The Humanistic Psychologist.
- McInerney, R. (2011). Book review: A Transcontinental Journey brings Transcendental Understanding. Existential Psychology East-West. Edited by Louis Hoffman, Mark Yang, Francis J. Kaklauskas & Albert Chan, Colorado Springs: University of the Rockies Press. Janus Head: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature.
- McInerney, R.G. (2010). Oz Never Did Give Nothing to the … Scarecrow: Neurophenomenology and Critical Pedagogy.Phenomenology and Practice, 4 (1), 68-87.
- McInerney, R.G. A Hermeneutics of Love for Community Research: Suffering and Acting on the Trembling Ground of Humility, The Society of Humanistic Psychology, APA Division 32 Annual Conference, Pacifica Graduate Institute: Community in Difference: Cultivating a Home for Love and Justice in an Indifferent World, Feb. 28 — March 3, 2013.
- McInerney, R.G. Agency and the Neurophenomenological Self: Anecdotes of Privacy, Sociality, Habit and Distinction. Presented at the 2012, American Psychological Association Convention, Aug. 2-5, 2012, Orlando, Fla.
- McInerney, R.G. Visual Representations of Childhood Mental Disorder: A Critical Discourse and Semiotic Analysis of Media Images. Presented at the 2011, American Psychological Association Convention, Aug. 4-7, 2011, Washington, D.C.
- McInerney, R.G. The Discursive Construction of Childhood Consciousness: Improperly Mooded, Out of Control, Split, and Monstrous. Presented at the 119th, 2011 American Psychological Association, Hospitality Suite, The Society for Humanistic Psychology, Aug. 4-7, 2011.
- McInerney, R.G. Aspiration and Inspiration: The Psychological Life of Being a Student, presented at In the World...On the Edge 2011 Annual Conference of The Society for Humanistic Psychology, Division 32 of the American Psychological Association, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. April 15-17, 2011.
- McInerney, R.G. Herman Hesse's Siddhartha and Humanistic Psychology. Presented at In the World...On the Edge 2011 Annual Conference of The Society for Humanistic Psychology, Division 32 of the American Psychological Association, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. April 15-17, 2011.
- Hermeneutic phenomenology
- Social constructionism
- Post-structural psychology
- Community psychology
Point Park Features
- "Professors Present on Hermeneutics of Love at Psychology Conference," Point Park University website, March 25, 2013.
- "Confluence Psychology Alliance Student Group Hosts Annual Undergraduate Research Conference," Point Park University website, Dec. 19, 2012.
- "Psychology Department Hosts National Conference, Builds Programs," The Point, Spring 2012.
- "National Psychology Conference Allows Students to Showcase Their Original Research and Meet Scholars," Point University website, April 26, 2012.