Assistant Professor, Behavioral Science
- Bachelor of Arts, Social Work, University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Science, Social Work, University of Michigan
- Doctor of Philosophy, Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley
- Sociological Foundations
- Introduction to Social Work
- Community Resources
Sarah L. Schulz, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of behavioral sciences at Point Park University. Her research interests focus on mental health, medical sociology and gender studies, with an emphasis on addressing barriers to health care faced by members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) communities. Her research interests are grounded in over 10 years of practice as a psychiatric social worker in a variety of practice settings. Prior to joining the faculty at Point Park, she worked as a high-risk care manager at UPMC’s Community Care Behavioral Health, where she was responsible for managing behavioral health care benefits for Medicaid and Medicare recipients. While pursuing her doctorate, Schulz worked as a clinical review specialist at Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley, California.
Schulz’s current areas of teaching interest include generalist social work practice, qualitative research methods, behavioral health and social work practice with LGBT populations. She is a member of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) and a Licensed Social Worker (LSW) in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Mental health
- Gender and sexuality
- Acute/emergency mental health care
- Health care policy reform
- Social determinants of health
- Medical sociology
- Managed health care
- Qualitative research methods
- "Psychological theories of disability and sexuality: A literature review," The Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 2009.
- "Working with transgender individuals: Guidelines for beginning practitioners and students," The New Social Worker, 2004.
- "Being genderqueer: Exploring the phenomenon of identities outside of the gender binary," Council on Social Work Education Annual Program Meeting, Atlanta, Ga., October 2011.
- "Working with Transgender Patients: An Overview," Invited presentation/psychiatry staff training, Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, Berkeley, Calif., July 2011.
- "Beyond Male and Female: Social Work Practice with Gender Variant Individuals," Council on Social Work Education Annual Program Meeting, San Francisco, Calif. October 2007.
Honors and Awards
- Graduate Assistantship, University of California, Berkeley, 2006-2011
- Research Assistantship, University of California, Berkeley, 2009-2010
- William V. Power Graduate Award, University of California, Berkeley, 2006-2007
- Graduate Fellowship Award, University of California, Berkeley, 2006-2007
- Undergraduate Research Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2001
Professional Licenses and Memberships
- Pennsylvania State Social Work licensure
- Council on Social Work Education
- National Association of Social Workers
- Society for Social Work and Research
Point Park Features
- "Faculty Profile: Meet Sarah Schulz, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Behavioral Science," Point Park University website, February 13, 2014.