CONFLUENCE EVENTS AND NEWS
For information about Confluence's upcoming events, watch for our ads and emails!
For up-to-date info, please check out our Facebook page.
Check out our Facebook page (see above) for announcements of upcoming events.
Secret Agent L. (Laura Miller) lectured and inspired on Fri., Feb. 24, 2012 from 6-9 p.m. in Point Park's University Center, Room 212.
Melissa Ferraro, developmental director of Sisters Place, Inc. (formerly The Center for Victims of Violence and Crime) lectured on Friday, March 16 at 6 p.m.
Fourth Annual Confluence Undergraduate Psychology Alliance featuring Point Park University student presentations and keynote speaker Alan Pope, Ph.D., on Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. on the 7th floor of the Student Center.
Community Awareness and Service Lecture Series was held on Fri. Oct. 14, 2011. It included participation from the organization Pittsburgh Action Against Rape and featured speakers: Jessica Burtt, crisis intervention counselor, Leah Vallone, crisis intervention counselor. Also, Heather Conroy, LSW, operations manager for Autism, Asperger's and ADHD Support for College Students, spoke at the event.
- Film: Sybil. Wed., March 30, 7 to 10 p.m.
- A presentation by Martin Samuels, M.A., Point Park University adjunct sociology professor, was given on "Therapeutic Restraint: The Foundation of a Therapeutic Milieu" on March 25, 2011.
- A presentation by Adam Flanagan on "Teaching English in Korea" was given on Feb. 18, 2011.
- Nick Williams, adjunct psychology professor, lectured about psychology and Buddhism on Oct. 8, 2010.
- Sarah Kass, ABD clinical psychology, graduate student at Saybrook University, lectured on Oct. 28, 2010 on existential therapy and body awareness.
- Rachael Goss, adjunct sociology professor, lectured on Nov. 5, 2010 on death penalty ethical issues.
- The Third Annual Confluence Psychology Undergraduate Qualitative Research Conference was held on Dec. 17, 2010 and featured keynote speaker Mary Jo Loughran, Ph.D., assistant professor of psychology at Chatham University.
- Louis Hoffman, Ph.D., presented on "The Need for Diversity in Existential Psychology" on Jan. 18, 2010.
- Olga Louchakova, Ph.D., gave a lecture on "Understanding Consciousness and Its Brain: Advances in Neurophenomenology" on Feb. 17, 2010.
- Susan Gordon, Ph.D., Robert McInerney, Ph.D., Point Park assistant professor of psychology, Brent Dean Robbins, Ph.D., assistant professor of psychology and Eugene Taylor, PH.D., presented on the topic "Neurophenomenology and the Enactive Approach to Cognition" on Feb. 20, 2010.
- Carlow University graduate students Brooke Anderson and Erin Connelley and Heather Conroy (AHHEAD) gave an information session on local graduate schools on Feb. 23, 2010.
- Gordon Nunn presented on "What is Global Music?" on March 26, 2010.
- John Cuda, lectured on the topic "Nietzsche on Normalcy, Deviance and the Sovereign Individual," on March 12, 2010.
- Point Park Assistant Professor of Psychology Brent Dean Robbins, Ph.D., lectured on the topic “The Experience of Laughter and the Social Psychology of Humor,” April 9, 2010.
- Amanda Morris presented on "Conversations in Story(ality): Native American Stand-Up Comedy" on April 16, 2010.
- As part of the Humanities Symposium, Confluence brought in Lisa Cosgrove, Ph.D., who presented on the topic “Rethinking the Meaning of Evidence Based Medicine in an Industry Dominated Climate” on April 23, 2010.
- Amanda Lowe, M.A., presented on the topic "Personal AND Professional: Approaches to Integrating Student Psychological Development within Professional Psychology Training" on Oct. 2, 2009.
- Scott Churchill,Ph.D.,gave a presentation on"Exploring the In-Between: Conversations with a Bonobo" on Nov. 9, 2009.
- Robert Fessler, Ph.D., Point Park professor of psychology, gave a presentation on "The Homogenization of Experience: living in a Mediated World" on Nov. 13, 2009.
- Sarah Perrier, Ph.D., Point Park assistant professor of English gave a poetry reading on "Nothing Fatal" on Dec. 4, 2009.
- On Jan. 20, 2008, Confluence members sponsored and advertised film played for educational purposes for all Point Park students: Pi.
- On Feb. 17, 2008, Confluence members sponsored and advertised a documentary played for educational purposes for all Point Park students: The War Room (1993) Documentary about Bill Clinton's move to the White House. Mikhail Pappas from the PA League of Young Voters presented.
- On March 7, 2008, Confluence students hosted the Phenomenology and Post-humanism Conference.
- On March 16, 2008 Confluence members sponsored and advertised a film played for educational purposes for all Point Park students: One Flew Over the Coo Coos Nest.
- On March 20, 2008, Confluence set up a “Meet and Greet Faculty Candidates” committee.
- On March 28, 2008, Confluence sponsored a Getting into Graduate school seminar.
- On April 4, 2008, Confluence students, Robert McInerney, Ph.D. and William J. Purcell, Ph.D. gave a lecture in Duquesne University's Families, Social Justice, and the Law Room.
- On April 12, 2008, Confluence advertised to Point Park University psychology and behavioral science students the Regional Undergraduate Psychology Conference at Duquesne University.
- On April 13, 2008, Confluence goes to the Andy Warhol Museum.
- In April 2008 Confluence members sponsored “Book em,” a book drive for free books for prisoners.
- On April 20, 2008, Confluence members sponsored and advertised a documentary played for educational purposes for all Point Park students: In the Realms of the Unreal: Henry Darger Story/
- On April 26, 2008, Confluence sponsors and advertises a regional undergraduate qualitative research conference which includes 15 posters from Point Park University students as well as students from other local universities. Confluence attained keynote speaker Dr. Russell Walsh for the event. 50 people were in attendance.
- On June 13 and 14, 2008, Confluence members helped advertise, facilitate and then attended the Sixth Annual Childhood and Society Symposium on The Sexualization of Childhood.
- On Sept. 8, 2008, Confluence sponsored a welcoming party for all Humanities and Human Sciences faculty, staff and students.
- On Sept. 28, 2008, Confluence members sponsored and advertised a documentary played for educational purposes for all Point Park students: Does Your Soul Have a Cold.
- On June 8, 2007, Confluence members hosted a lecture on Bipolar Children: Cutting Edge Controversy, Insight and Research at Point Park.
- On Oct. 5, 2007 Confluence attended a lecture by Dr. Nancy McWilliams, a well-known, published psychoanalytic theorist.
- On Oct. 18, 2007, Confluence members took part in Take Back the Night (with PAAR) Rally against violence against women.
- On Oct. 26 and 27, 2007, Confluence attended the Global Problems, Global Solutions: Saving our Earth and its people at La Roche College.
- On Nov. 11, 2007, Confluence members sponsored and advertised a documentary played for educational purposes for all Point Park students: Dark Days (teams up with HEARTH) and collected donations for the homeless.
- On Dec. 6, 2007, Confluence sponsored, arranged and advertised for a lecture by Dr. Louella Dias on thecultural implications of being an Indian-woman and psychotherapist. 70 people were in attendance.
- On May 26, 2006, Confluence members attended a lecture on Nature, Psyche and Spirit: Cultivating Intimacy In the Shared Earth Community: An Experiential Workshop in the Woodswith Will W. Adams, Ph.D. from the Duquesne University psychology department. The lecture was in conjunction With Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Sixth Annual Great Outdoors Week.