Be a Part of our Biotechnology Program in Downtown Pittsburgh
Enjoy thinking small, as in cells and DNA? Point Park University offers one of the nation's only undergraduate biotechnology programs to use live cells and cellular materials to help discover and create new pharmaceutical, diagnostic, agricultural and environmental products.
Upon graduation, you can impress prospective employers because biotechnology is seen as a core discipline in all aspects of life sciences. Also, you can benefit from our cross-disciplinary emphasis on molecular biology and information technology, which allows you to incorporate software applications to examine areas such as biological pathway information.
Meet Erin Faight, a biotechnology capstone student and research assistant at the Lupus Center of Excellence.
Degrees Offered in Biotechnology Program
Students with appropriate backgrounds who already hold Bachelor of Science degrees in other fields can earn a B.S. degree in biotechnology through our 30-credit post-baccalaureate program. In addition, our 62-credit biotechnology capstone program is offered to students who have appropriate backgrounds and have already earned an Associate in Science degree.
The following degrees are offered in the biotechnology program:
- Bachelor of Science in biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science post-baccalaureate in biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science capstone program in biotechnology
Biotechnology Major Course Offerings
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in the biotechnology major. Some of the courses include:
- Animal Modeling of Disease
- Biotechnology Laboratory
- Drug Discovery and Development
- Emerging Life Science Technologies
- Receptors, Signaling Pathways and Cellular Control Mechanisms
During their time in the Bachelor of Science biotechnology program, students have interned at:
- Pittsburgh Tissue Engineering, Inc.
- University of Pittsburgh Biotechnology Center
- University of Pittsburgh Department of Pharmacology
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Vaccine Research
With a biotechnology degree, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities, such as:
- Bioinformatics Director
- Genetic Engineering