Acting Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Duquesne University
- Master of Arts, Psychology, Miami University of Ohio
- Doctor of Philosophy, Psychology, Duquesne University
- Abnormal Psychology
- Criminal Psychopathology
- Cross-Cultural Psychology
- Human Sexuality
- Japanese Culture
- Psychology of the Mass Media
- Regional Studies: Africa
- Regional Studies: India
- Theories of Personality
Robert Fessler, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist who began his career working as a psychotherapist in both private practice and hospital settings. In recent years, he has become increasingly interested in cross-cultural psychology, particularly cultural differences in the understanding and treatment of abnormal behavior. Widely traveled, he has worked and done research in 42 countries on five continents.
As a global studies director, Fessler also participated in the Semester at Sea program in the fall of 2001 and spring of 2005. Stops included Japan, China, Vietnam, Singapore, India, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Brazil, Cuba and Venezuela.
- Faculty member, Point Park University, 1969-present
- Acting dean, Point Park University School of Arts and Sciences, May 2011-present
- Chair, Department of Humanities and Human Sciences, 2010-2011
- Visiting lecturer and global studies coordinator for Semester at Sea program, University of Pittsburgh, spring 2005
- Interim dean, Point Park University School of Arts and Sciences, 2002-2003
- Visiting lecturer and core director for Semester at Sea program, University of Pittsburgh, fall 2001
- Visiting lecturer for Semester at Sea program, University of Pittsburgh, spring 1999
- Visiting lecturer for Semester at Sea program, University of Pittsburgh, fall 1994
- Chair, Point Park University Department of Humanities and Human Sciences, 1988-1994
- Visiting fellow, National Endowment for the Humanities, Princeton University, summer 1988
- Adjunct faculty, graduate program in counseling, University of Pittsburgh, fall 1985
- Clinical director, college counseling center, Point Park University, 1982-1986
- Private practice in psychotherapy, 1972-2001
- Psychological services associate II, Dixmont State Hospital, 1967-1969
Academic and Administrative Positions Held at Point Park
- Acting dean, School of Arts and Sciences
- Chair, Department of Humanities and Human Sciences
- Director of internships for psychology, sociology and human resources majors
- President of the faculty
- Chair, curriculum committee
- Member, budget committee
- Member, academic personnel and policies committee
- Member, library committee
- Member, student life committee
Point Park Features
- "Teachable Moments with Robert Fessler, Ph.D.," The Point, Winter 2013 issue.
- "Psychology Department Hosts National Conference, Builds Programs," The Point, Spring 2012 issue.
- "Alumna Says Global Cultural Studies Degree Equipped Her for Life," Point Park University website, April 2, 2012.
- "Psychology Alum is Program Director at Western Psych," Point Park University website, Oct. 19, 2011.