Associate Professor of PR and Advertising
Director of IMC Program
- Ph.D., Communications, University of South Africa
- M.S.J., Journalism/Marketing, West Virginia University
- B.A. (Hons.), Journalism/Advertising, Rand Afrikaans University, Johannesburg
- B.A., Journalism and History, Potchefstroom University
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Media Planning and Buying
- Introduction to Advertising and PR
- Advertising Copywriting and Layout
- IMC Writing and Design
- Creativity and Managing Creative People
- Advertising and PR Writing
- Principles of Advertising
- Survey of Mass Communication
Johan Yssel, Ph.D., joined the faculty at Point Park University in 2008, bringing to the classroom a combination of practical and teaching experience, as well as terminal academic qualifications.
At Point Park, he has advised several student organizations. In addition, elsewhere, teams he has prepared for student competitions have had good success, such as winning the Citibank Competition and placing second in the American Advertising Federation NSAC.
Yssel has taught at several universities and his research has been published in national and international journals. He is an avid traveler to Europe.
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- American Advertising Federation
- International Academy of Business Disciplines
- Media Association of Pittsburgh
- Yssel, J.C. (Dec. 2012). "Lose the 'tude dude." Ohrid, Macedonia.
- Yssel, J.C. (Dec. 2012). "If it ain't broke, trust the Yanks to fix it!" Bitola, Macedonia.
- Yssel, J.C. (May 2012). "Comparative Advertising." Exploring Advertising Conference, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Yssel, J.C., Starr-Fiedler, H. (Oct. 2010). "Team Teaching in the School of Communication at Point Park University, Pennsylvania: An innovative approach," Poland Global Communication Association Conference: Globalization, Culture, and Education in the Information Age, Krakow, Poland.
- Starr-Fiedler, H., Yssel, J.C. (Oct. 2010). "Digital Culture: The Technology Diet. Does using a constructivist-based assessment in place of a final exam work for the Millennial Generation?," Poland Global Communication Association Conference: Globalization, Culture, and Education in the Information Age, Krakow, Poland.
- Yssel, J.C. & Johnson, K.J. (2003). "Do Older Females Write More Effective Advertising Strategies?," International Business Research Yearbook, 10, 31 - 35.
- Yssel, J.C. & Johnson, K.J. (2002). "Quadrants vs Sextants: A Superior Method for Writing Advertising Strategy?," International Business Research Yearbook, 9, 75 - 79.
- Yssel, J.C. (2001). "The FCB Grid 21 Years Later: Still Withstanding the Test of Time," International Business Research Yearbook, 7, 653 - 657.
- Advertising strategy
- International advertising
Selected Awards and Honors
- Top Teaching Paper, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- National Dean’s List
- Kappa Tau Alpha
- National Collegiate Award Winner (American Award of Excellence)
- U. S. Achievement Academy (Scholastic All-American)
Point Park Feature
- "Class simulates real-world marketing agency competition," Point Park website, May 2010.