Associate Professor of Journalism
- Ph.D., Journalism, Ohio University
- M.A., Journalism, Point Park University
- B.S., Journalism, University of Colorado
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Copyreading and Editing
- Basic News Writing Skills
- Pioneer Magazine
- Journalistic Style
- Public Opinion and the News Media
- Arts Criticism
- Mass Communication History
- Media Ethics
Steve Hallock, Ph.D., joined the faculty in the fall of 2007 following a two-year stint as an assistant professor of journalism at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
His newspaper experience of nearly 25 years includes national and regional award-winning editorial and column writing for daily newspapers in the West, supervisory positions as editor of two daily newspapers in Ohio and features editor at daily newspapers in Oklahoma and New Mexico, and reporting positions on beats ranging from local government and education to sports and features. He also has been a book reviewer, published short stories in literary magazines, and was a full-time jazz critic in Phoenix.
Hallock has published extensively during his academic career, with columns appearing on op-ed pages in newspapers that include The New York Times, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Philadelphia Inquirer, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Dayton Daily News and Denver Post. He also has published in scholarly newspaper journals.
He and his wife, Joanne, a paralegal at a downtown Pittsburgh law firm, live in Mount Lebanon.
- Editorial and Opinion: The Dwindling Marketplace of Ideas in Today's News
- Reporters Who Made History: Great American Journalists on the Issues and Crises of the Late 20th Century
- The Press March to War: Newspapers Set the Stage for Military Intervention in Post-World War II America
In Cheesman Park
- Media effects on politics and society
Point Park Features
- "Steve Hallock's Essay in Journalism Review, Book Featured at Conference," Point Park University website, July 11, 2012.
- "School of Communication Director Authors 'The Press March to War'," Point Park University website, May 3, 2012.
- "School Director's Op-Ed in Post-Gazette," Point Park University website, Jan. 19, 2012.
- "Professor's Op-Ed in the Philadelphia Inquirer," Point Park University website, Sept. 6, 2011.
- "Professor Hallock Spotlights Great Journalists for New Book," Point Park University website, Jan. 17, 2010.
In the News
- "Panhandling in Pittsburgh: Bruce Kraus' Proposed Ordinance Would be Unconstitutional," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct. 20, 2014.
- "Point Park Director Writes Book about Friend's Crime," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 16, 2014.
- "'In Cheesman Park': A Memoir of Knowing Evil," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 28, 2013.
- "Author's Book Recounts the After-Effects of a Rape in the Heyday of Peace-and-Love," Pittsburgh City Paper, Dec. 11, 2013.
- "Sleepy Watchdogs in the Run-Up to War," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, June 16, 2012.