Professor of Journalism
Director of University Honors Program
- M.A., Communications, Duquesne University
- B.A., Journalism and Mass Communication, Point Park University
- Copy Editing
- Journalistic Writing and Editing
- Interviewing Skills
- International Media
Helen Fallon, professor of journalism and director of Point Park’s Honors Program, has taught and served as an administrator at Point Park University since 1986. She was chair of the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication from 1999 to 2008 and was the acting dean of the School of Communication from 2008 to 2009. She then became director of the Honors Program.
Under Fallon’s leadership, the School of Communication began annual student trips to Washington, D.C., and a different foreign country each year to focus on national and international media as well as broaden travel experiences for students. In 2013, she will lead the sixth international trip visiting cities in Germany. Past trips have included Italy, London, Toronto, Dublin and Prague.
Fallon remains an active journalist, working every Friday as a copy editor for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, where she’s been gathering real-world materials for her classes since 1990. Earlier in her career, Fallon worked as a reporter, copy editor and editor for several papers in the Pittsburgh area for six years, and did public relations for a university and a community hospital for five years.
Fallon is involved in journalism education beyond Point Park, working with high school students by teaching apprenticeships for the Allegheny Intermediate Unit's gifted and talented program and visiting area high schools to talk with journalism and communication classes. She has been an active member and leader in the Pennsylvania School Press Association and has made presentations with the Journalism Education Association at its national conferences as well.
Fallon and her family, daughter Amy and son Stephen, established a travel fund at Point Park in memory of their late husband and father, John E. Fallon Jr. The fund helps School of Communication and Honors Program students in need travel nationally and abroad to complement their Point Park education.
- Women’s Press Club of Pittsburgh, vice president
- Northeast Regional Honors Council, vice president
- Press Club of Western Pennsylvania, 2nd vice president
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Pennsylvania Scholastic Press Association, vice president and workshop presenter
- Journalism Education Association
- Pennsylvania’s Tuition Account Plan, board member
- National Collegiate Honors Council
- Northeast Regional Honors Council
- The Consortium for Public Education, committee chair in the West Jefferson Hills School District and serves on a grant review committee
- Foundation for Education, West Jefferson Hills School District’s strategic planning steering committee, founding member
- Honors Student Organization, Point Park University
- High School Workshops (fundraising, updating, sponsor award contest with the Post-Gazette for outstanding high school newspapers and journalism students), Point Park University
- Pennsylvania School Press Association, state conferences, November 2008-2011
- Journalism Education Association national conferences, November 2008-2010
- Service to Journalism Award, Western Pennsylvania Press Club, 2005