Assistant Professor of Broadcast Journalism
Chair of Faculty
- Doctor of Philosophy, Communication (media studies concentration), University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Science, Communications and Information Systems, Robert Morris University
- Bachelor of Arts, Telecommunications, Kent State University
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Video Production and Editing I
- Mass Comm/Mass Media History
- Introduction to Multimedia
- Broadcast Copywriting
- Advanced Television Production
- Broadcast Graphics
Thom Baggerman, Ph.D., comes to Point Park from Capital University, where he was an assistant professor in the Department of Communication. He was also previously a visiting instructor at the University of Pittsburgh and a part-time faculty member at Robert Morris University. Baggerman has worked at various television stations, including WTOV-TV, where he was operations manager and director/producer/production technician, and WGGB-TV, where he was director/producer.
- Broadcast Education Association
- Council on Undergraduate Research
- National Communication Association
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Video Production Assessment," Broadcast Educators Association, 2012.
- "Can you Communicate? Implementing Evaluation Tools Everywhere," Higher Learning Commission Annual Conference on Quality in Higher Education, 2011.
- "CMX," in Timeline: A History of Editing, 2011.
- "Critical Production: Enhancing Video Production Pedagogy with Critical Thinking," Journal of Media Education, October 2010.
- "Citizen Journalism and Radio Production," Broadcast Educators Association, 2010.
- "Reporter as Actor: Performance in Conventional and Citizen VideoJournalism," National Communication Association, 2009.
- "Mixed Media: The Form, Technology, and Content Choices of 'Online Newspapers,'" Convergence & Society Conference, 2009.
- "Two Parts 'Old Media,' One Part 'New:' Integrating Social Media and Television News," Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2009.
- "Critical Production: Using Video Production to Teach Critical Thinking," Broadcast Education Association, 2009.
- "Leveraging the Local: Applications of Citizen Journalism and Hyperlocalism in Television Station Websites," Convergence & Society Conference, 2008.
- "Lip Service to Localism: Policy, Structure, Public Service, and Profit," American Journalism Historians Association, 2008.
- "Structuring Journalism: Economic Influences on Journalistic Practice in Newspapers, Radio, and Television," Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2007.
- "Ownership/Technology/Content: Revisiting Herman & Chomsky's Ownership Filter," Herman & Chomsky Media Conference, 2007.
- "Profitability and Public Service," Film, Television and the 1950s Conference, 2006.
- "Public Service: Sold," Cultural Studies Association and Media and Transition 3 Conferences, 2003.
Point Park Feature
- "Meet Thom Baggerman, Assistant Professor of Broadcast Journalism," Point Park University website, March 23, 2012.