- Office: 913 Thayer Hall
- Phone: 412-392-4701
- Fax: 412-392-3917
- Email: email@example.com
- Home page: facstaff.pointpark.edu/tdumova
- Ph.D., Communication Studies, Bowling Green State University
- M.A., History/Mass Communication, Bowling Green State University
- B.A., English, Moscow State Linguistic University
- New Media Applications
- Digital Imaging
- Media Effects
- Information Society
- Intercultural/International Communication
- Public Speaking
- Interpersonal Communication
- Senior Portfolio
- New Electronic Media
- Digital Editing
- Introduction to Multimedia
- Theory and Practice of Digital Multimedia
- Advanced Digital Media
- Media Ethics
- Communication Theory
- Mass Communication Research Methods
- Communication, Technology & Culture
- Technology Mediated Communication
- Computer Mediated Publication
- Visual Communication Design
- Print Graphics
- Advertising and PR Graphics
- Desktop/Electronic Publishing
- Visual Communication
Tatyana Dumova, Ph.D., is a professor of multimedia in the School of Communication at Point Park University. Before joining the Point Park faculty, she was an associate professor of applied communication at Montclair State University in New Jersey and assistant professor of communication technology at the University of North Dakota. She has professional background as an associate producer and nonlinear video editor at WBGU-TV (PBS) and web coordinator for Northwest Ohio Educational Technology Foundation, and is certified in multimedia technology by the National Institute for the Study of Digital Media. Dumova has extensive curriculum development experience and works on designing new courses and programs in visual and interactive communication and emerging media technologies for face-to-face, online and hybrid instruction. She is a certified online course reviewer and Middle States Commission on Higher Education evaluation team member.
Dumova published three books on the impact of new communication technologies on social interaction, Social Networking: Redefining Communication in the Digital Age (2016), Blogging in the Global Society: Cultural, Political and Geographical Aspects (2012) and Handbook of Research on Social Interaction Technologies and Collaboration Software: Concepts and Trends (2010). She presented and published over 70 juried papers, articles and book chapters, and served as an editor and editorial board member for scholarly journals.
Dumova judged competitive research papers and panels for the Pennsylvania Communication Association, Eastern Communication Association, National Communication Association, International Communication Association, and Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, and served as paper session chair and respondent during the conventions. She was named to a panel of international experts of the New Eurasia Foundation to evaluate grant proposals in technology, and served as external reviewer for tenure and promotion in the United States and abroad.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Social Implications of New and Emerging Technologies
- Communication Theory and Mass Communication Research Methods
- Social Media
- Classroom Assessment and Innovative Pedagogies
- Online Teaching and Learning
- Co-Director and Research Professor, Keystone Innovation Starter Kit (KISK) Program Grant to Point Park University
- Chair, Institutional Review Board (IRB) Committee, Point Park University
- Member of Core Outcomes Assessment Committee, Point Park University
- Member of Curriculum Committee, Point Park University
- Member of Multimedia Group, School of Communication
- Member of Pittsburgh Technology Council
- Member of Executive Council, Pennsylvania Communication Association
- Chair of Applied Communication Interest Group, Eastern Communication Association
- Chair of Communication Assessment Division, National Communication Association
- Editor-in-chief emeritus, International Journal of Interactive Communication Systems and Technologies
- Editorial Board Member, Journalism & Mass Communication Educator
- Associate Editor, Pennsylvania Communication Annual
Selected Awards and Recognitions
- Faculty Recognition, Point Park University, 2011-2016
- Letter of Commendation, Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts, 2013-2016
- Letter of Commendation, National Communication Association, 2013, 2014
- Letter of Commendation, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 2013
- Letter of Commendation, Pennsylvania Communication Association, 2011, 2013, 2015
- Award for Outstanding Service, University of North Dakota, 2008
- Letter of Recognition, Association for Women in Communications, 2007
- Certificate of Recognition, National Communication Association, 2007
- Bush Teaching Scholar, The Archibald Bush Foundation, 2006-2007
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of North Dakota, 2006
- Central States Communication Association, Top Four Paper Award in Media Studies, 2004
- Harold and Elaine Fisher Award for Academic Excellence, Bowling Green State University, 2001
- Children and Youth Program Award, Central Education Network, 2001
- Ohio Educational Telecommunications (OET), Educational Service Program Award, 1999
- Dumova, T. (2016). Social Network Research Methods: Approaches and Key Issues. In A. Kurylo & T. Dumova (Eds.), Social Networking: Redefining Communication in the Digital Age (pp. 161-177). Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press.
- Dumova, T. (2015). Engaging Technology in University-Community Partnerships. In W. James Jacob, Stewart E. Sutin, John C. Weidman, & John L. Yeager (Eds). Community Engagement in Higher Education: Policy Reforms and Practice (pp. 51-72). Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Dumova, T. (2013). Technology and Culture. In A. Kurylo (Ed)., Inter/Cultural Communication: Representation and Construction of Culture in Everyday Interaction (pp. 257-278). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Dumova, T. (2012). Social Interaction Technologies and the Future of Blogging. In T. Dumova & R. Fiordo (Eds.), Blogging in the Global Society: Cultural, Political and Geographical Aspects (pp. 249-274). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Dumova, T. (2012). The Usability of Online Quizzes: Evaluating Student Perceptions. In S. Kelsey & K. St. Amant (Eds.), Computer-Mediated Communication: Issues and Approaches in Education (pp. 50-61). Hershey PA: Information Science Reference.
- Dumova, T., & Rosenthal, A. (2010). Assessment Resources on the Web. In P. Backlund & G. Wakefield (Eds.), A Communication Assessment Primer: A Guide to Developing Successful Educational Assessment Programs (pp. 165-177). Washington, DC: National Communication Association.
- Dumova, T. (2008). Using Digital Video Assignments as a Tool for Active Learning. International Journal of Learning, 14 (12), 63-72.
- Dumova, T. (2001). New Trends in Web Communication Technology: Webcasting. In W. A. Fowler & J. Haserbrook (Eds.), Proceedings of WebNet 2001 World Conference on the WWW and Internet. Norfolk, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, p. 332-333.
- Dumova, T. (2000). People, Knowledge, and the Internet: Redefining Categories, Concepts, and Models. In L. Borghans, W. Gijselaers, R. Milter, & J. Stinson (Eds.), Educational Innovation in Economics and Business V: Business Education for the Changing Workplace (pp. 129-148). Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Point Park Features
- "Professor Serves as International Grant Review Expert on Research Integrity," Point Park University website, March 6, 2017.
- "Professor Presents on Assessment and Curriculum Innovation," Point Park University website, Oct. 3, 2016.
- "Point Park Professor Judges International Media Competition," Point Park University website, April, 27, 2016.
- "Point Park Professor Publishes Book on Online Social Networks," Point Park University website, March 28, 2016.
- "Graduate Students and Faculty Present Research at Penn State York," Point Park University website, Oct. 22, 2015.
- "Professor Weighs in on Technology in University-Community Partnerships," Point Park University website, Sept. 1, 2015.
- "Students and Alumni Host Research Colloquium," Point Park University website, Jan. 29, 2015.
- "Graduate Student Research Featured at Communication Conference," Point Park University website, Oct. 3, 2014.
- "Graduate Programs Prepare Students to Present Research, Network at Conference," Point Park University website, Nov. 4, 2013.
- "Faculty, Graduate Students Present at Eastern Communication Conference," Point Park University website, May 16, 2012.
- "Faculty Profile: Tatyana Dumova, Multimedia," Point Park University website, Jan. 20, 2012.
- "Faculty Member Published Book on Global Blogging," Point Park University website, Jan. 19, 2012.
- "Faculty Member Presents at National Communication Convention," Point Park University website, Nov. 28, 2012.
- "Dumova Publishes Chapter on Online Assessment," Point Park University website, Nov. 3, 2011.
- "Faculty Member Presents Juried Research Paper," Point Park University website, April 28, 2011.
- "Dumova Publishes in a Communication Assessment Primer Released by National Communication Association," Point Park University website, Oct. 7, 2010.
In the News
- "New FTC Guidelines Take on Bloggers," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 6, 2009.