Explore the evolving world of communications and media
The School of Communication offers current high school students two exciting opportunities to visit campus and learn what it's like to study in one of our innovative communications majors. During the summer, individual students can take part in our week-long Media Workshops, an intensive, hands-on experience that has participants producing print and online projects. During the academic year, school groups visit for High School Media Day, one in the fall, one in the spring.
We welcome your interest in the School of Communication and invite you to explore our programs, meet our faculty members and talk with our current students. We look forward to meeting you!
June 16-21, 2013
Point Park University campus, Downtown Pittsburgh
Explore Your Future in Journalism This Summer!
The field of journalism and mass communication constantly changes. Technology has made the profession faster, more exciting and more rewarding. Get a taste of your career-to-be at one of our interactive, multimedia workshops – learn about writing, video, audio, photography and social media!
Students can choose from two workshops:
Students will have the opportunity to meet sports journalists from the region, tour major sports facilities and get a behind-the-scenes look at the business.
Arts and Entertainment Media
Students will get the chance to meet arts and entertainment journalists from the region, tour theaters and venues to get a behind-the-scenes look at the business.
What else will you learn in these workshops?
- Techniques for multiple media platforms
- How to use several types of media and relate them to your field of interest
- The value of networking with media professionals
Space is limited - Apply by June 3 to gain media expertise!
- Cost includes one workshop, residence hall room, two meals per day and social activities. (Students stay overnight in a residence hall, Sunday-Friday, on campus).
- Scholarships are available to help defray cost.
- Cindy Jenko, firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-392-4743
The School of Communication hosts High School Media Day twice a year at Point Park University. High school students and teachers are invited to the event to learn about media and communication industries.
Point Park faculty members lead interactive sessions within their specialty areas; topics include: advertising, broadcasting, media ethics, multimedia, photojournalism and public relations. The program includes lunch and the option to have a Point Park professor critique your high school’s student newspaper.
Previous Media Day sessions have included:
- Advertising: Anything Goes?
- Facebook: The Challenges and the Opportunities
- Freedom of Expression and Photography
- Journalism: Students have the Right to Interview the Infamous
- What’s Legal, What’s Right
- Public Service Advertising with Creative Impact
- The Blogosphere: “Free for All” World Wild Web or Free-Speech Bastion?
- Cyanotype Workshop
- Journalism: An Exercise in the 24-Hour News Cycle
- Parody & Piracy: Being Creative Without Being Criminal. A Lesson in Copyright and Fair Use
What past participants have said about Media Day:
“I really liked meeting the different professors and getting the feel of being in a college setting.” — McKeesport Area High
“I wanted (my students) to have the experience with people who are educated in this field to provide them with a broader spectrum of what we could use in our own classrooms, online journalism or in the publication of our yearbook.” — Ringgold
High School teacher