School of Communication students use Point Park University's state-of-the-art television studio.
Earn a Degree in Media Production
The broadcast production and media management major is one part strong academics, one part insight and one part hands-on experience. In this program, internships are a must, and with so many AM and FM radio stations, television stations and production houses in and around Pittsburgh, they’re easy to find.
Classroom and extracurricular activities include commercial, news and script writing; producing, directing and editing for radio/TV; program scheduling and production; and station promotions.
"One of the factors that influenced my decision to attend Point Park's School of Communication was knowing that I would have access to train in and use state-of-the-art facilities and equipment."
– Learn more about broadcasting alumnus Eric Davidow
You can put your classroom learning to work by joining the staff of the award-winning, student-operated radio station, WPPJ (AM-670). Media production majors can produce shows and other content for U-View, Point Park’s Student Broadcasting Network. And we encourage you to join the Point Park Student Broadcasters' Association, a professional group that connects you with other students, local broadcast media, professional groups and reputable local broadcasters.
Television Production Facilities
One of the most state-of-the-art production facilities in Western Pennsylvania is all yours, right here at Point Park. If you can dream it, you can produce it here.
The 24-by-72-foot studio/sound stage has a 10-foot-high lighting grid, three Sony digital studio cameras with teleprompters, a seamless two-wall hard cyclorama, a grommetted green-screen, an industry-standard video/engineering control room, a live announcer's booth and a 40-channel audio board.
Your career in media production will begin in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1. Check out the production facilities and equipment.
Production and Media Management Course Offerings
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in your major. Some of the courses in the media production major include:
- Broadcast Programming and Formatting
- Broadcast Writing and Editing
- Communication Law and Regulation
- Multi-Camera Video Production and Directing
- Radio Production
- Video Production and Editing
- Electronic Media Management
- Motion Graphics
Careers in Media Production
With a bachelor's degree in broadcast production and media management, you will have the option to pursue various broadcast job opportunities, such as:
- Master Control
- News Producer
- Sports Producer
- Media Programming Director
- Media Research Specialist
- Broadcast/Multimedia Sales
- Multimedia Advertising Producer
- Multimedia Advertising Executive
- TV Sports, Entertainment or News Photographer
- Studio Camera Operator
- Studio or Field Audio Technician
- Studio or Field Video Program Director
- Studio or Field Video Technical Director
- Radio, TV, Online or Motion Picture Marketing Professional