As part of a volunteer project, Point Park honors students pick up litter along the Eliza Furnace Trail in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Honors Student Organization Provides Leadership, Volunteer Opportunities
The Honors Student Organization is a student-run group for Honors Program members and students of any major. Beginning freshman year, students in HSO can apply for a leadership role, volunteer to serve on a committee, as well as lead projects and activities.
"The Honors Program made my Point Park experience. I was president of the HSO and helped develop and facilitate programs that still continue."
-- Jamie Inferrera, B.A. in journalism and mass communication
HSO students lead numerous leadership and volunteer activities throughout the year, including:
- "City as Text" volunteer project;
- Alliance for Infants and Toddlers Holiday toy drive;
- Alternative Spring Break;
- Storytelling and Human Rights Symposium;
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day projects;
- Animal Rescue League Shelter and Wildlife Center service project;
- Pittsburgh Great Race;
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- National Collegiate Honors Council and Northeast Regional conferences; and
- Pittsburgh cultural and professional meetings and events.
HSO has regular meetings throughout the semester, along with other activities and events. Check out information about meeting dates and locations on the HSO Facebook page.
HSO Executive Board Members
- President: Laura Byko, journalism
- Graduate Assistant: Victoria Ventura, M.A. in leadership
- President-Elect: Nicolette Jones, sports, arts and entertainment management
- Secretary: Amber Mole, accounting and business management
- Treasurer: Jane McAnallen, public relations and advertising
- Senior Representative: Kariann Mano, public relations and advertising
Junior Representative: Sarah Martin, education
- Sophomore Representative: Chelsey Driskel, public relations and advertising
- Freshmen Representative: Carrie Reale, mass communication, and Emily Bennett, journalism
- Representative At Large: Kristin Snapp, journalism
- Community Outreach: Julia Grubbs, dance and accounting