What is Conditional Admittance?
- Conditional admittance may be offered to select freshman applicants who do not meet the minimum admissions requirements but show potential for success
- Applicants with lower cumulative GPAs, academic GPAs, class rank, and/or standardized test scores may be offered conditional admittance
- Conditional Admittance requires that students successfully complete the SMART START program and register for English Composition I and II during their freshman year. Furthermore, it is highly recommended that students register for Studio Writing, ENGL 147, a one-credit pass-fail course that supplements writing instruction in the core English courses.
What is SMART START?
- SMART START is an intensive program designed to explore key knowledge, skills, and attitudes that increase preparedness for the freshman academic experience
- Students arrive on campus two weeks before the start of the fall semester in order to take course work designed to build information literacy skills and effective learning strategies
- Students also complete preparatory assignments prior to the start of SMART START classes and complete follow-up activities during their first semester
- Students earn 3 elective credits by successfully completing all SMART START requirements
Benefits for SMART START students
- Exploration of qualities that correlate with success during the freshman year and beyond
- Opportunity for self-assessment, goal-setting, and planning for change
- Tips for thriving in an environment that values and encourages academic excellence
- Access to a personal research coach and an iPad during the freshman year
- Ability to move into the residence halls two weeks early
SMART START Schedule 2013
- Preparatory assignments completed independently prior to the start of the program
- Program orientation scheduled the afternoon of Sunday, Aug. 11
- Classes scheduled Monday, Aug. 12, through Friday, Aug. 23, from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. daily
- Assigned follow-up activities scheduled during the Fall semester
SMART START Costs
- Fall full-time tuition charges include the tuition for the SMART START program
- $172 to cover 2 meals per day for students moving into the residence halls early for SMART START
- Price of assigned textbooks and materials