Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Basketball Game Recap

Toronto surges past Point Park men, 88-84, with big second half

Nov. 5, 2011

Team Photo 2011-12 (420x320)


AMHERST, N.Y. -- The Point Park University men's basketball team had a 10-point lead, 43-33, over the University of Toronto Saturday afternoon at the Daemen Tournament, but the Varsity Blues came surging back with 55 points the second half on their way to an 88-84 victory over the Pioneers.
Point Park (1-1) had outscored York (Ont.), 50-30, in the second half of its season-opening, 81-75 win Friday night. But Saturday it was Toronto (5-5) that rallied for the victory.
T.J. Heatherington had a fantastic opening weekend for Point Park. The junior point guard put together 26 points, 10 assists and five rebounds on Saturday. That was one day after pouring in a career-high 33 points to go with seven rebounds and six assists on Friday.
Jimmy Taylor, a junior guard who is a product of Keystone Oaks High School by way of CCAC-Allegheny the last two years, reached double figures again Saturday with 17 points. Taylor buried five 3-pointers with four coming the first 20 minutes when he scored 14 of his points. Taylor has nine treys in two games after putting in four on his way to 16 points Friday.
Josh Pohlot, a sophomore forward from Belle Vernon, Pa., gave Point Park three double-digit scorers with 13 points and five rebounds on 6 of 8 shooting.
Alongside Pohlot, the Pioneers got a combined 15 points and 14 rebounds from the other post position. Devon Alexander had nine points and seven rebounds on 4 of 4 shooting and Dante Anglin had six points and seven rebounds to combine on that output.
Sean Nickel had a team-high 19 points for Toronto, and Alex Hill had 18. Both Nickel and Hill made four 3-pointers. Andrew Wasik added 17 points, and big man Drazen Glisic contributed a double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds.
The Varsity Blues shot 56 percent from the field during the second half. They shot 42 percent overall, and Point Park came in at 44 percent. Toronto held a 46-33 edge on the boards.
The loss for Point Park comes after the Pioneers scored the first 17 points of the game. The Pioneers held the Varsity Blues scoreless for the first 3:39 and were still ahead, 27-11 with 11:28 before the half.
Toronto made eight of its 12 3-pointers the first half to claw within 43-33 at the break. Point Park maintained the double-digit lead and was ahead, 57-46, at the 14:26 mark of the second half.
Even though Toronto got within 57-52 about a minute later, Point Park bumped the lead back up to double-digits, 66-54, on Heatherington's free throws with 9:36 remaining. Heatherington was a perfect 12 for 12 from the foul line and Point Park was 18 of 21.
But Toronto put together a 17-5 run over the next five minutes to knot the score at 71-71 with 4:44 to play. The spurt started with nine consecutive points by the Varsity Blues.
With 3:35 to go, Taylor connected from the outside to tie the score at 74-74. Later, after a couple of big 3-pointers from Nickel, Toronto was ahead, 83-78, with 1:49 on the clock. The Varsity Blues were up, 85-80, when they left the door open for Point Park.
On two straight possessions, Toronto missed a pair of free throws. But after each the Toronto came up empty at the line, the Pioneers missed a 3-point attempt. Toronto made 3 of 4 foul shots after that, and Taylor's long-range jumper was off the mark with Point Park down four in the closing seconds.
Point Park is now off until next weekend's Siena Heights Tournament Nov. 11-12. The Pioneers draw Lourdes in the first round Friday at 6 p.m.