Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Men's Basketball Recap

Point Park men go cold in second half for KIAC home loss to Berea (Ky.), 89-80

Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:15 p.m. ET

Senior Josh Pohlot goes up for two of his 15 points versus Berea on Saturday. Photo by Evan Schall.



WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. -- The Point Park University men's basketball team couldn't get a 3-point shot to go down in the second half -- literally -- and lost a KIAC home game to Berea (Ky.), 89-80, on Saturday at CCAC-South Gym.

The Pioneers (9-10, 4-5 KIAC) were 0 for 14 from long range the second half, which prevented them from cutting into the 49-42 halftime lead of Berea (11-6, 4-3 KIAC).

Point Park found a way keep up with Berea the second half despite the drought from the outside -- the Mountaineers outscored the Pioneers by just two points, 40-38, the second half -- but the inability to get one to go down from the outside gave Berea the three-possession win.

The Pioneers ended up going 3 for 30 (10 percent) from downtown for the day, and that was no match for Berea's outside shooting. The Mountaineers were 15 for 32 from long range for 47 percent. Point Park on several occassions in the second half cut the Berea lead to four or five points only to have the visitors knock down a trey time and again.

Berea guard Daishon Robinson was the lead culprit from downtown making four treys on his way to 23 points. Guard Richard Parker came off the bench for 18 points and four 3s. Guard Aaron Ponder got all nine of his points from beyond the arc, and Seth Beckham tossed in 12 points as another perimeter player in double figures.

Berea opened up a 61-49 lead with 15:00 left when Parker nailed two outside shots in a row. The Pioneers cut the lead in half, 61-55, when Josh Pohlot scored inside for two of his 15 points. The senior forward from Belle Vernon also had 10 rebounds for a double-double.

But Robinson then hit from the outside to bump the lead back up to near double-digits, 64-55. Point Park guard Gabe McNeal, who had a team-high 19 points, hit a jumper to pull the Pioneers within 67-63, at the 9:38 mark.

But treys by Anthony Myrks and Robinson soon had Berea up by 12, 75-63, with 6:40 to play. Two possessions later, the Mountaineers had their biggest lead of the day, 79-65, at the 5:02 mark.

Point Park got the deficit to eight points twice in the last five minutes, but Berea held off the Pioneers with free throws.

Senior point guard Robbie Heatherington posted 14 points, six rebounds and five assists for Point Park. Senior forward Nick Brown put up 16 points and nine rebounds. Sophomore forward Matt Noszka came in with a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds before fouling out late.

Point Park fell behind by eight points in the first half but had a big run to make up the difference. That type of run couldn't come together the second half amid the cold shooting.

The Pioneers were down, 22-14, with 11:04 left in the first half as Robinson and Ponder each hit from long range as part of an 8-0 run for Berea.

But Point Park shook off that deficit with with a very quick, 19-5 run for a 33-27 lead -- their biggest of the day -- with 7:01 before the break. However, Berea responded with a 22-9 spurt to end the half for a 49-42 lead after 20 minutes.

Berea was 9 of 19 from downtown the first 20 minutes and 6 of 13 after halftime. The Mountaineers shot 44 percent on the day compared to 39 percent for Point Park.

Point Park entered Saturday with a home record of 5-1 overall and 3-0 KIAC. After taking the conference, home loss, the Pioneers are off until next Saturday when the host Asbury (Ky.) for another important KIAC home game at 3 p.m.

Follow the Pioneers on Twitter @PointParkSports and Facebook.com/PointParkAthletics