Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Men's Soccer

Point Park men's soccer loses OT heartbreaker to Westmont (Calif.), 2-1

Sept. 6, 2015 at 8:30 a.m. ET

Bryan Kalaka scored Point Park's goal in the 2-1 (OT) loss to Westmont (Calif.). Photo by Gracey Evans.


RIO GRANDE, Ohio -- Point Park University men's soccer fell to Westmont (Calif.) in heartbreaking fashion on Saturday night at the Rio Grande Soccer Classic, a 2-1 loss on a penalty kick in overtime.

Point Park (2-2) and Westmont (Calif.) (2-1) both had opportunities to win in regulation and overtime. In the end, it was Westmont that got the game-winner to go in. A bad break for the Pioneers led to the PK chance.

Wilton Quintero's PK in the 99th minute was the difference. He got the chance when a shot by Westmont caught Point Park defensive star Paul Carr on the hand. Carr was right on the goal line at the time. He was whistled for a red card, which led to the PK try.

It was an even game with shots showing a 15-13 advantage for Point Park. That, in addition to overtime being needed to decide things made it a game that could have gone either way.

The Pioneers tied the score at 1-1 in the 64th minute when newcomer Bryan Kalaka scored his first goal in a Point Park uniform. A native of Leicester, England, Kalaka beat two defenders for the unassisted goal.

Westmont, which barely lost to host school and NAIA No. 5-ranked Rio Grande, 2-1 (2OT) on Friday night, had taken a 1-0 lead on Asher Booth's goal in the 21st minute. He scored on a strike from the top of the 18.

Point Park looked to have the game won two minutes into overtime. Max Flick put a header toward the open side of the goal. As players for both teams watched awaiting it to hit the back of the net, it floated an inch wide and the game continued.

Point Park's next game is Thursday at home versus NAIA Marygrove (Mich.). Kickoff is 2 p.m. at Highmark Stadium. Watch Live on Stretch Internet at portal.stretchinternet.com/ppu