Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Basketball News

Point Park women fall behind early in AMC loss to Roberts Wesleyan

Jan. 18, 2011

WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. – Roberts Wesleyan College scored the first 10 points of the game and later built a 26-8 lead on its way to a 70-43 victory at Point Park University in American Mideast Conference women’s basketball action Tuesday night.


Roberts Wesleyan (11-7, 4-2 AMC) won for the fourth time in five games by jumping out to a 31-18 lead at halftime. Point Park (10-7, 2-4) started the game 2 of 20 from the field in losing its third game in a row. The first two games in that stretch were to ranked teams Cedarville (#9) and Daemen (#12) last week. 

The Roberts Wesleyan defense held Point Park to a season-low 25-percent (14 of 56) shooting, and the Pioneers missed all 13 of their 3-point attempts. Also, Point Park set a season-high with 22 turnovers. 

The visiting Red Raiders had their lead grow to 46-26 the first five minutes of the second half, and they were ahead, 55-30, with 10:35 to go.

Point Park’s Ashley Henderson notched her first double-double of the season with 15 points and a career-high 13 rebounds. Henderson picked up the rebounding slack when leading post player Joncelyn Peterkin, a 6-2 center who averages 11.4 ppg and 8.0 rpg, went down with an injury with 19:15 remaining. April Austin was the only other Point Park player in double figures with 10 points.

Roberts Wesleyan had four starters score double digits led by Marissa Bunce with 14 points and four 3-pointers. Forward Brittany McMillon added 12 points and seven rebounds while Tiffany Wilson and Sarah Child added 10 points apiece. The final starter, Biana Jones, had a team-high 13 rebounds to help the Raiders hold a 56-40 edge in rebounds.

Point Park gets back into AMC action with a road trip this weekend. The Pioneers visit Mt. Vernon Nazarene Friday at 5:30 p.m. before traveling to Wilberforce for a 12 p.m. date Saturday. The start time for the Wilberforce game was moved ahead two hours from the original plan.