Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Women's Basketball

No. 22 Point Park women come up short in KIAC showdown with Asbury (Ky.)

Updated -- Jan. 4, 2015 at 1:30 a.m. ET -- By Zachary Weiss, Point Park Athletic Communications

Carly Forse pictured in the KIAC Tournament championship game last year.


VIDEO: End of Game -- Point Park at Asbury (via Instagram @PointParkSports)

WILMORE, Ky. -- No. 22 Point Park University women's basketball lost at Asbury (Ky.) on Saturday as Carly Forse's put-back of missed field goal for the potential tying points came a fraction of a second after the final buzzer.

Point Park (11-2, 0-1 KIAC) led Asbury (12-2, 2-0 KIAC), 62-59, on Alexa Xenakis' 3-pointer with under three minutes to go. But Asbury went up, 65-62, on three driving layups.

Point Park's Kelly Johnson made two free throws with 10 seconds left to pull within 66-64. Then, Johnson tied up the ensuing in-bounds pass to give the Pioneers the ball with six seconds left.

After a timeout, Point Park missed two jumpers in the lane as the clock wore down. Forse's put-back of the second miss went in, but it was too late.

It was mathcup of the last two KIAC Tournament championship games won by Point Park and also a meeting of the KIAC divisional favorites as Point Park was the preseason favorite in the KIAC North Division and Asbury the favorite in the KIAC South. Asbury is 'receiving votes' in the NAIA Division II Top 25.

Johnson had 16 points, eight rebounds and three steals to lead all scorers. Teammate Ja’Nia McPhatter, a senior, added 11 points.

Asbury was led by junior point guard Kylee Gorby who scored 13 points while senior guard Annissia Wood scored 10 points off the bench. Sophomore center Kali Whiteside had eight points and 18 rebounds, nine of which were offensive.

Point Park’s 64 points represent a season low, as does its field goal percentage (35.2 percent).

“One good thing about these trips is win or lose you’ve got to shake it off quick,” Point Park coach Tony Grenek said. “We’ve got to make sure we’re ready to go against Alice Lloyd (Ky.) tomorrow and get this one out of our brains as fast as we can. Asbury is a great team, they’ve shown it, and they were a couple seconds better than us today, but there is a lot of season left.”

Whiteside’s rebounds proved to be a significant advantage as the Pioneers were outrebounded by 18, 56-38.

“Their center (Whiteside) did a great job and in the first half cleaning up a lot of the misses and defensive rebounds,” said Grenek, whose team shot just 27 percent the first half leading to a rebounding deficit of 32-15 the first 20 minutes.

“I thought we adjusted well in the second half and rebounded the ball better. Since we lost  (center) Sam Weir (out indefinitely to injury), we are a lot smaller of a team, so we’re going to struggle on the glass. At the half, we caused 12 turnovers to their five, and we’ve just got to take advantage of that and we didn’t.”

In the first half, Point Park led for a total of 1:02 and trailed 28-23 at the break. Asbury shot 40 percent from the field in the first half while the Pioneers made nine field goals and shot 27.3 percent.

The Pioneers responded quickly coming out of the locker room going on a 6-0 run to lead 29-28 two minutes into the second half. From there, the game went back and forth with each basket.  Neither team was able to pull away from the other.

Asbury was up 66-64 and had possession with 10 seconds left when Point Park used a timeout to draw up a play on defense as the Eagles were inbounding on the play. The Eagles passed the ball to Gorby, who was trapped in the corner. Point Park forced a jump ball and had the possession arrow in its favor.

The Pioneers called another timeout, this time with six seconds left, to set up a baseline out of bounds play. Point Park passed the ball to Forse, who missed a banking hook shot.

McPhatter grabbed the rebound in the lane and put a 10-footer that went in and out. Forse grabbed the rebound and put the ball in the basket as the final buzzer sounded.

One referee ruled the basket good and another immediately signaled no good. The referees had a brief conference ruling the basket no good giving Asbury the game.

“That’s a judgment call and I obviously was begging for it to count at the end of the game from the official,” Grenek said. This isn’t Division I where they can go to the monitors. It really shouldn’t have come down to that because normally, since I’ve been at Point Park, our forte has been getting that lead the last two or three minutes and pulling the game out. But we didn’t do that. We made some mistakes when we were up three (62-59).”

Immediately following the conclusion of the game, a replay was shown at the scorer’s table and the ball was still in Forse’s hand when the light went up, which supported the official’s call.

Point Park plays another KIAC road game at Alice Lloyd (4-9, 1-0 KIAC) on Sunday at 1 p.m. Alice Lloyd (5-8, 1-1 KIAC) beat Carlow at home, 73-65, on Saturday.

Live Video for Point Park at Alice Lloyd (Ky.) will be provided by ALC. Watch Live