Updated: Nov. 17, 2014
Resident Students Arriving to Point Park
We are not permitted to pick up any students, due to liability issues. The Pittsburgh International Airport has many methods of safe transportation. We recommend Super Shuttle http://www.supershuttle.com.
- Students arriving by air can take a shuttle service to Point Park University, 201 Wood St. (Downtown Pittsburgh)
- Students arriving by bus can take a taxi from the Greyhound Bus terminal to the University.
Resident Check-In: Sunday, June 21, 2015
Six-week and three-week resident students should report to the first floor Academic Hall (via Third Avenue entrance), Sunday, June 21, 2015 between the hours of 11:00 am and 3:00 pm for check-in. Students who plan to arrive after the above mentioned times should report to the security desk in Academic Hall at the entrance for their room key.
Orientation Day/ Commuters and Residents – All Students: Monday, June 22, 2015
All students report on Monday, June 22, 2015 at 9 a.m. to the Ballroom on the 3rd floor of Lawrence Hall for orientation followed by scheduled placement classes. Placement classes will run the first two days of the program (Monday & Tuesday). Classes will be held from 9 a.m. to 5:20 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturdays.
Three-week students can check out of the resident rooms on Saturday, July 11, 2015 after 3 p.m. However, due to schedule and airfare conflicts, students can check out Friday evening or Saturday morning.
Six-week resident students can check out of their rooms on Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015 in the morning before noon or after 5:00.Note: There is a Saturday matinée performance at 2 p.m. for six-week students. All students will be required to be at the theater from noon until 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015. Please schedule airfares after 6 p.m.
Letters and packages can be sent to the student’s name in care of:
Point Park Summer Dance
Hall name & Room Number
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
- Eight solid-colored leotards any color (or white t-shirts for men)
- Nude dance belt (men)
- Tights for class (ballet pink and black for ladies; black or grey for men)
- Ballet slippers for class
- Pointe shoes (Only if taking Pointe Class) - Three to four pairs if attending 6 weeks
- Jazz oxfords or boots
- Tap shoes - (All students will take Tap class at least 2x a week)
For Performance (Six-Week Students Only):
- Good ballet shoes (pink for ladies; black and white for men).
- Two pairs of good tights (Danskin 32 footed pink or ballet pink w/ seams for ladies; B&W for men)
- Nude camisole leotard (ladies) (Not see-through … this is in case of a costume change backstage)
Field Trip Information:
Occasionally, field trips may be scheduled on a few Sundays which all Summer Dance students are welcome to attend, but not required. Sign-up sheets will be posted the week before the trip for those interested in attending.
Possible Field Trips (with admission cost). Kennywood Amusement Park - $30, Sandcastle Water Park - $25, Wave Pool - $5.
Tuition and housing refunds minus the $250 deposit will be given to students only in cases of extreme illness or injury (a doctor’s written verification will be required) that prevents the student from continuing with the program. Partial tuition credit and housing refunds will be given on a pro-rated basis if illness, injury or family tragedy interrupts and prohibits the student from continuing participation in the program. A written request must be received no later than a week after interruption of studies. No refunds will be given to any student who quits the program unless they have a medical excuse prohibiting them from dancing or a family tragedy.
PHONE NUMBERS TO REMEMBER
University Main Number :
Summer Dance Office:
Housing Office (Resident Life):
Susan Stowe, Artistic Director:
Michael Shahen, Program Director:
412-392-8000 ext 0
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT US!
1-877-932-6644 OR 412-392-3456
PARKING FOR COMMUTERS
The University does not own a parking lot. However, the City of Pittsburgh has parking lots directly across from the University and within walking distances.
- Blvd. Of Allies lot: $12 all day – Directly across the street from the University
- Third Avenue Garage; $14 all day - Directly across the street from the University
- Mon Wharf parking: $9 a day – Two blocks from University.
- (Best Choice) Station Square: $6 per day - 10- to 12-minute walk from University
- Weekend parking rate is $5 per day
- North Shore Parking - $5 all day, T-Service free from North Shore to Downtown is free
T-SERVICE - Gateway Center Station & and Wood Street Station - 5-minute walk to the University
BUSES – For maps and drop offs visit: http://www.portauthority.org
Local Hotels - (Rates vary month to month)
An excellent website for local hotels, costs and ranking can be found at http://www.tripadvisor.com
Several hotels near Point Park are:
- PittsburghWestin Convention Center - (412) 281-3700 - starwoodhotels.com - 0.6 mi – about a 11-minute walk
- Sheraton Station Square - (412) 261-2000 - starwoodhotels.com - 0.7 mi – about a 13-minute walk
- Doubletree Hotel & Suites - (412) 281-5800 - doubletree.com - 0.6 mi – about a 11-minute walk
- Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel - (800) 468-3571 - marriott.com - 0.5 mi – about a 9-minute walk
- Hilton Hotel - (412) 391-4600 - hilton.com - 0.4 mi – about a 7-minute walk
- Omni William Penn Hotel - (412) 281-7100 - omnihotels.com - 0.4 mi – about a 7-minute walk
- Marriott Residence Inn Pittsburgh North Shore (412) 321-2099 - 0.9 mi – about a 17-minute walk
- Fairmont Pittsburgh, 866-539-0036 - 0.5 mi – about a 5-minute walk