POSITION: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES
REPORTS TO: Director of Human Resources
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree preferred. This position requires ten (10) years of progressive human resources generalist experience, particularly in benefits administration and compliance, training and development; and employee relations and investigations. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, must have the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with all employees. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required; quantitative/analytical skills; and strong computer skills in spreadsheet applications, word processing and email (Word, Excel and previous HRIS experience required; experience with Ceridian personnel software and report writing a plus.) Must have the ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple priorities and work independently with little supervision. Previous supervisory experience required. PHR/SPHR and /or CEBS designation preferred.
This position assists in the management of the Human Resources function for the university. Specific areas of responsibility include employee benefits programs management, disability and leave of absence management, training and development programs, employee relations and supervision of the student employment program. Well developed HR generalist skills are utilized.
- Administers benefits programs including medical, dental, flexible spending, COBRA and life insurance to include analysis, quality assurance, serving as primary contact with benefit plan representative and employees. Oversees all administration including claims resolutions, approving invoices for payment, enrollment and processing changes, maintain employee communications on benefits and annual re-evaluation of benefits programs for cost effectiveness and quality. Also maintains all reporting and compliance requirements.
- Installs all new benefits plan design changes by coordinating with vendors, preparing communication materials, ensuring proper procedure and policy is in place, educating employees, implementing necessary administration and follow up, and providing employees with support with issues. Coordinates annual benefits enrollment period and ensures timely completion of necessary changes.
- Responsible for oversight and management of university specific benefits such as tuition remission, tuition exchange benefits and domestic partner benefits including policy and procedure maintenance, ongoing communications, administrative processing, and benchmarking and quality reviews.
- Responsible for the administration, compliance, coordination and employee relations related to the 403(b) retirement savings plans. Oversee ERISA compliance, all plan documentation and administration and ensure proper policy and procedures are followed as well as maintain ongoing communication and education for employees eligible and enrolled in the plans. Ensure proper filing of reports and applications required by federal and state agencies. Review and analyze changes to legislation and make appropriate recommendations and implement changes to plan design, policy and procedure.
- Oversee the administration and coordination of the Employee Investment Relations Committee including coordination of meetings, ongoing relationship management with vendors, ensuring compliance with procedure and practice, coordinating training and ongoing Committee initiatives. Responsible for oversight and good stewardship of our 403 (b) plans in the best interest of employees of the University.
- Manage the University disability programs including Family and Medical Leave (FMLA), short term disability (STD), long term disability (LTD) and general leaves of absence. Maintain policy and procedure related to leave, ensure compliance with all regulations, administer the benefits, coordinate with outside vendors, act as liaison with employees and maintain all necessary files and documentation.
- Responsible for the effective identification, development, coordination and presentation of training and development programs for the University.
- Assess university development needs to drive training initiatives, actively search, design, implement and / or deliver training and development programs. Plan, organize and facilitate all training initiatives as well as other HR sponsored events.
- Conducts follow up and review to evaluate training results, and implement improvements. Develop training materials and methods using a variety of media to meet training needs and budget guidelines.
- Oversees the new hire orientation program, including explanation of benefits programs, university policies and procedures. Ensures that employees are properly enrolled in benefits programs and compliance documentation is maintained for required training.
- Assist in management of customer service initiatives for the University, serve on the STARS committee, to design and implement customer service training and other initiatives.
- Plan, direct and supervise all activities related to student employment including administration, and payroll maintenance, management of federal work study budget funds, ongoing monitoring of compliance with regulations regarding student employment, quality reviews of program, reporting and related policy and procedural design and implementation. Directly manage the Coordinator of Student Employment and related federal, state, apprenticeship and graduate assistantship programs.
- Assist the Director in the daily administration of other HR services as directed or assigned. Oversee training and necessary cross training of departmental functions specifically HR specialist and Coordinator of Student Employment, ensure proper coverage and service coordination. Assist in proper maintenance of HRIS systems and data and file integrity.
- Assist the Director in employee relations matters including the investigation and resolution of ongoing employee relations issues and employee complaints. Anticipate issues whenever possible and develop, recommend and initiate appropriate steps for resolution.
- Participates in development, implementation and evaluation of department goals, objectives and system. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvement in efficiency of department and services provided. Fills in for the department head as requested.
- Assists in development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures, prepares and maintains all related documentation, conducts compliance checks and recommends revisions when necessary. Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning areas of responsibility.
- Develop and analyze ongoing and ad-hoc special reports pertaining to employee personnel information and data within areas of responsibility, particularly in the benefits areas to maintain cost effectiveness, analyze usage and provide benefits recommendations to senior management. Performs analysis of external competitiveness of benefits programs, participates in related surveys, analyzed results and provides recommendations on quality and competitiveness of benefits programs.
- Maintain and expand knowledge of existing and proposed legislation affecting human resources. Identify trends and upcoming changes that could impact the University and interpret appropriate laws and policies and propose necessary policy and procedural changes as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - ASSISTANT DIRECTOR HR - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.