Position: Assistant to the Dean
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Reports to: Dean of Arts and Sciences
The Assistant to the Dean provides multiple levels of support to the Dean and other professionals in the Office of the Dean. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in operating in a high-volume and fast paced workplace. We are in search of an executive-level administrative assistant with significant and demonstrated experience in effectively communicating with and responding to a wide range of internal and external customers; maintaining confidentially and professionalism at all times; working collaboratively with others to provide administrative support; prioritizing workload; coordinating the Dean’s calendar; managing office operations; supervising work study students; and coordinating meeting and events.
A bachelor’s degree and previous executive administrative experience in higher education; Knowledge of MS Office Suite; proficient with general computer operations; strong writing skills; willingness to learn and maintain the School of Arts & Sciences Content Management System (website), Jenzabar (university database) and Blackboard. Experience working with web applications and social media preferred.
- Facilitate all internal and external, verbal and written communication from the Dean’s office.
- Handle confidential matters for the Dean.
- Serve as receptionist (greeting guests).
- Perform routine tasks such as, retrieving and distributing mail, filing, typing, copying, etc.
- Answer phones and direct calls as appropriate.
- Update social media, websites, newsletters, general announcements.
- Prepares and sends mass mailings.
- Maintain logs of paperwork processed through the Office of the Dean and assure paperwork is processed in a timely manner.
- Assist with coordination of faculty searches.
- Responsible for maintaining the Dean’s calendar. Schedule meetings and assist with planning details of meetings for the School of Arts & Sciences.
- Maintain files for full-time and adjunct faculty in addition to departmental files; both digital and paper.
- Manage office operations, order and track supplies, including coordinating maintenance and physical plant requests.
- Handle directly or refer problems and issues to appropriate department or individual.
- Follow-up phone calls and email.
- Assist and/or coordinate arrangements for various functions of the School of Arts & Sciences.
- Attend various meetings and take minutes for committees and task forces when needed.
- Offer additional support to other staff in the School of Arts & Sciences.
- Assist with budget oversight and operational procedures as needed.
- Compile statistical data and reports.
- Supervise and oversee workstudy students, program and budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - Assistant to the Dean - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.