POSITION: Assistant Teacher, Part-Time
DEPARTMENT: Children's School
REQUIREMENTS: Associates degree or equivalent in Early Childhood Education or related field, plus minimum one year of documented experience in a early childhood OR at minimum, three years documented experience in early childhood.
Mature in attitude and judgment, tolerant of diversity, exhibit personal and professional integrity as outlined in Children's School's Code of Ethics, possess strong interpersonal skills, alert and capable of reacting quickly to the needs of the children; ability to physically respond to the needs of children, i.e., lifting infants and toddlers (max. 35 lbs); bending, squatting, sitting at child's level; walking and keeping pace with children.
1. Plan, supervise and implement the classroom program; gear the schedule to the needs of individual children with concern for their interests, talents, and individual style and pace of learning; apply and personally share the philosophy of developmentally appropriate practices, the High/Scope curriculum and the standards of the National Academy of Early Childhood (NAEYC) and Keystone STARS programs .
2. Function as a model in the implementation of the curriculum and all aspects of the daily routine; assure that contacts with the children are frequent, positive and on their level.
3. Assist the physical and emotional needs of the children in performing daily routine by lifting (maximum of 35 lbs.), bending, squatting, sitting at child's level, assisting/carrying infants and toddlers, walking and keeping pace with children as their top priority.,
4. Assure that the practices of the staff keep health and safety and the well-being of the children as their top priority.
5. Maintain an awareness of the whole school environment; offer assistance for the smooth function of the entire program.
6. Supervise team members' parent and child interactions; conduct team meetings and ensure that all team members are well informed.
7. Attend all meetings; participate in required professional development, maintain professional development record as required by Keystone STAR program and NAEYC.
8. Serve as a resource in assisting others in their professional development, orientation, and knowledge of curriculum and procedures related to their jobs.
9. Assure that joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff are completed.
10. Attend all meetings; participate in recommended training, conferences and so forth.
11. Implement methods for effectively utilizing the services of classroom assistant.
12. Plan and implement methods of establishing a positive liaison with parents; conduct parent conferences.
13. Assure that developmental assessments of children are completed in accordance with regulations; assist with on-going evaluation procedures needed to assess the developmental levels of the children.
14. Provide parents with regular feedback and provide for parent involvement and communication.
15. Assure that classroom records are completed accurately; document on-going child observations.
16. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - PART-TIME ASSISTANT TEACHER- in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.