POSITION TITLE: CAPTAIN
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director of Public Safety
Bachelor Degree preferred or equivalent training with a minimum of five to seven years in administration and supervision role with experience in the law enforcement and within the Environmental Health and Safety area. Incumbent must be a certified sworn police officer under the Pennsylvania University Private Act 501. He/she must be knowledgeable of current health and safety codes (OSHA, EPA, and PADEP) and be able to implement them in applying safety standards. Training in the National Incident Management System; Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to prepare clear and accurate reports and records; Ability to establish effective partnerships with academic and operational units and work collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups.
Assists the Chief of Police in the development of police officers, police operations, and ongoing coordination of the environmental, health, and safety compliance programs for Point Park University. The individual provides professional knowledge and expertise in organizing and directing programs/processes designed to improve overall safety and reduce risk within the organization. The incumbent shall monitor and advise University Administration on compliance with respect to Federal, State and Local regulations pertaining to Environmental, Health and Safety aspects.
- Assumes command of police operations in the absence of the Chief and communicates with Deputy Director.
- May participate in a variety of law enforcement activities and programs including making arrest of suspects in traffic and criminal offenses, issuing citations, appearing in court for criminal, civil and other law enforcement related matters, arrests, complaints and other law enforcement matters.
- Maintain the University’s crime statistics through the State Police (UCR) and the Department of Education (Clery Act)
- Direct the University’s crime prevention programs including the Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention (SHARP) program.
- Emergency Management Planning and Operations including the continual updating of the University’s Safety and Security Policy and Procedure Manual. The coordination of disaster, fire, and intruder response and drills. Plan and oversee the implementation of the mass emergency notification systems.
- Perform a variety of managerial level tasks in the development, implementation and delivery of Environmental, Health, and Safety, such as, plans, exercises, education, training, business continuity.
- Provides direction to the University Safety Committee designed to oversee institutional safety in the areas of traditional safety, hazardous materials & waste, laboratory safety, fire safety, emergency preparedness
- Provide leadership in the areas of safety/risk assessment, loss control, and regulatory compliance and fosters strategic planning and campus-wide collaboration.
- Manage the University’s Certified Safety Committee. This includes continuing the safety committee and applying for State Certification.
- Emergency Management Planning and Operations including the continual updating of the University’s Safety and Security Policy and Procedure Manual. The coordination of disaster, fire, and intruder response and drills. Continue the Emergency Management planning documents in support of University emergency programs and integrate documents into the University’s Emergency Operations Plan.
- Provides direction regarding the organization’s safety education and training process; provides technical expertise in the development of all Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and similar training materials and provides safety orientation and/or ongoing safety training to University personnel designed to achieve regulatory obligations and reduce risk, injuries and lost time.
- Conduct fire safety and emergency response training for staff and faculty and establishes Fire Response Procedures; monitors occupant knowledge and performance during fire evacuations or drills; and investigates fire related incidents.
- Establishes guidelines for contractors performing construction and renovation activities on University property and interfaces with project managers to ensure safety requirements are enforced. Has authority to stop all contractor activities until such practices are brought into compliance.
- Provides direction for all activities (land, water and air) related to compliance with environmental regulations including the EPA, PADEP, and Local city. Ensures that required license or permits are obtained.
- Establishes Hazard Communication and Chemical Hygiene practices for the protection of all faculty and staff that purchase, handle and dispose of hazardous materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - CAPTAIN - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.