POSITION: Community Director
DEPARTMENT: Student Life
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Life
REQUIREMENTS: Required: Bachelor's degree.
Preferred: Master's degree in Higher Education or related field. Two to four years of Residence Life experience and direct involvement in student supervision and campus on call experience.
The Community Director works collaboratively with other Student Affairs departments, and the University community to create a positive living environment for all students. The primary focus of the position is to develop and supervise the Residence Life Staff as well as over-see the co-curricular programming for their assigned population (either Freshmen or Upperclassmen). The Community Director works to provide a vibrant campus life that complements students’ educational experience. This is a live on position; a meal plan and apartment are provided.
- Coordinates class specific program model
- Supervises Assistant Community Director (graduate-level position)
- Supervises Residence Life Student Staff members (Community Facilitators or Community Mentors & Community Advisors)
- Serves in the on-duty rotation as an Administrator on Duty
- Conducts bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with individual student staff members
- Is familiar with and adheres to all University policies and procedures
- Assists with planning and implementation of all Student Life programs
- Supports and attends University events and programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Establishes office hours for availability to residents and staff
- Submits administrative reports as directed
- Helps supervise hall opening and closing procedures at the beginning and end of each semester and during vacation periods and breaks
- Assists with room selection for returning students
- Coordinates assessment initiatives to determine students’ satisfaction
- Oversees projects as assigned
- Serves on departmental and University committees as assigned
3. Programming/Staff Development:
- Implements programming model for either First Year Experience OR The Sophomore Experience and Junior/Senior Assembly
- Evaluates student staff on a semester basis
- Provides ongoing development for Residence Life Student Staff and ensures they develop co-curricular initiatives for their communities
- Assists with selection, training, and evaluation of Residence Life Student Staff members
- Partakes in University training and development workshops
- Attends all departmental meetings, including weekly student staff meetings and daily professional staff meetings
- Attends weekly one-on-one meetings with Director Student Life
4. Student Conduct:
- Enforces University and residence hall policies and refer/coordinate with Public Safety as needed
- Serves as disciplinary hearing officer for low-level adjudications as assigned by the Director of Student Conduct
- Adjudicates judicial cases and generate all necessary correspondence within the directed time frame
- Consults with Director of Student Conduct, regarding referrals and other necessary action
5. Emergency/Crisis Intervention:
- Knows Emergency/Crisis Protocol
- Assists as directed, in any crisis/emergency situation
- Conducts administrative room searches as required
- Alerts Public Safety Officers upon hearing of/finding an emergency situation
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - COMMUNITY DIRECTOR - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.