POSITION: Contract Specialist (Part Time)
DEPARTMENT: Procurement and Business Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant VP of Business Contracts and Insurance
REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Qualifications: BA/BS in Paralegal Studies, Supply Chain Logistics, Business Administration/Management or related degree; Minimum three – five years in contracting, with a strong emphasis on drafting or reviewing contracts for a wide variety of goods and services; establishment of contract performance standards; and negotiation strategies. Demonstrated abilities in contract administration, contract negotiation, procurement law, and construction contracting methodologies (Design/bid/building; CM at Risk, etc.) Ability to explain complex, legal provisions to operational units and to provide guidance to these units on using contract terms and performance standards to effectively and efficiently manage operational contracts. Ability to manage conflict and confrontation in negotiations and to obtain operational unit buy-in and collaboration with the chosen negotiation path. Commitment to act in the best interests of the University despite internal and/or external pressures.
Preferred Qualifications: Contracting experience in an educational or nonprofit environment. Experience with utilizing competitive processes (requests for proposal, requests for quotations, requests for information) and preparing the resulting contract, insurance, and performance standard documents. Knowledge and understanding of various types of insurance coverage (commercial general liability, professional liability, etc.) Experience with contract management systems.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: Draft and/or review contracts for goods and services to ensure compliance with the University’s contracting and insurance program and with legal and professional standards; Provide guidance to University departments on performance contracting and administration; Oversee contracting program when necessary; Manage multiple priorities and establish priorities based on strategic goals and business rationale.
- Analyze contract terms and conditions to: 1) ensure compliance with University’s indemnification and insurance standards; 2) minimize risk and liability to the University; 3) achieve operational and financial goals of the University; and 4) ensure compliance with any applicable laws, statutes, and/or regulations (e.g. – FERPA, EEOC, HIPAA)
- Negotiate terms and conditions with contractors that are consistent with University’s established practices and in the best interests of the University; ability to manage conflict and confrontation during the negotiation process by direct interaction with contractors to achieve equitable resolution.
- Present clear, concise, and analytical executive summaries regarding contract and insurance matters and to implement established path to finalize contracts.
- Assist operational units with establishing performance standards for applicable contacts and with incorporating these standards into the contract using contract provisions, exhibits, etc.
- Explain complex, legal provisions to operational units and to provide guidance to these units on using contract terms and performance standards to effectively and efficiently manage operational contracts. Provide training as needed.
- Provide oversight of contracting function as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - CONTRACT SPECIALIST - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.