POSITION: Director of Conference & Event Services
DEPARTMENT: Conference & Event Services Office
REPORT TO: Vice President of Operations
The Conference & Event Services Director will provide leadership and direction in the planning and execution of high quality conferences and events. The Director will ensure the Conference & Event Services Office is providing the highest level of professional standards in keeping with the University’s mission and values.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6 to 8 years experience planning conferences and events
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in supervision in the events field
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Work well in a fast-paced environment under deadline pressure
- Willingness to work irregular hours including some evenings, weekends and holidays
- Be on call as needed
- Ability to perform a broad range of supervisory responsibilities
- Establish policies and procedures to increase the timeliness and effectiveness of scheduling conferences and events
- Establish cooperative working relationships with employees, vendors, municipal officials, service contractors and the public
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Ability to address complex issues utilizing a clear, thoughtful manner to come to a resolution quickly without jeopardizing the event or relationships with people involved
- Oversee Conference & Event Services staff with their daily operations to ensure conferences and events are accurately organized for the customer needs
- Oversee and manage the program of special and signature events of Point Park University, including Starmakers Gala, Pioneer Golf Classic, Homecoming, Commencement and other fundraising events as required.
- Monitor Daily/Weekly reporting that is distributed to the operational departments
- Oversees support services for events and conferences, including housekeeping, maintenance, security, catering and technical services
- Demonstrate the ability to interact, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with diverse constituent groups including Seignior Management faculty, staff, students, alumni, university supporters, governmental, and other dignitaries, vendors and the public at large
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively to provide quality seamless customer service
- Inspect facilities to ensure they are being maintained properly for conferences and events
- Ensure all event files are maintained with the pertinent information for future reference
- Oversees the computing of costs for billing of special services and equipment rental charges
- Prepare a variety of reports on security, staffing utilization, event-related crowd control, and risk management issues
- Direct and coordinate staff activities necessary to support various events and activities
- Prepare the annual budget, recommend capital improvement, control and monitor office expenditures
- Engage staff in professional development opportunities by encourage them to become involved in external organization and attend conferences in the industry
- Attend high profile, appropriate university conferences and events when necessary
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 25 pounds with or without accommodation
- Assist supervisor with special projects
- Perform other duties as required or assigned
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - DIRECTOR, CONFERENCE & EVENT SERVICES - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.